wood boat in the pool

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Farmington, MI

wood boat in the pool

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

I am planning to take a kayak rolling class which is held at an indoor pool. Participants must use their own kayak (which makes sense). However, I was wondering whether the chlorinated pool water would negatively effect the varnish on my cedar stripped kayak. A quick search of the web did not reveal anything. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks,
Jeff
Jim Dodd

Re: wood boat in the pool

Post by Jim Dodd »

I would bet no harm would come from the chlorine.

I'd be more worried about drying the hull after rolling. Trapped water in the bows of many a wood canvas canoe, proved to rot the hulls.

You could try wetting a spot, and see what happens.

All the crud, and farm chemicals I've had my canoes in haven't effected them.

Did you use a Polyurethane, or Spar varnish ?

Learning to roll a kayak is a good skill to master ! I might even borrow a kayak from someone.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
KenC

Post by KenC »

No worries. My club runs annual pool sessions every spring and my kayak has been in the pool many times over the years. No effect.

Sure, you have to dry out the fore & aft hatches after each session, but hopefully you do that every time you go out anyway, even in fresh water. Rot isn't an issue, because every surface should be epoxy coated at the very least, but you should still let the compartments dry out before storing it for any length of time.

Rolling is great fun. Jim, at one of the local paddle-fests, I saw a guy roll a canoe. Have you tried that yet?
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Ken

I've got the half roll almost perfected ! When it comes to whitewater, I'm more of a spectator ! Although, I've been known to chance a barely class two from time to time.

I'm glad you piped in, as I was thinking about trying free style at an indoor pool with a cedar stripper.

The guys that roll a canoe, usually have straps that they can wedge themselves in with, and flotation bags.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!