Stem form and cheek form measurement question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Morecowbell

Stem form and cheek form measurement question

Post by Morecowbell »

I'm laying out the forms for a Bob's Special and am wondering if the centerline on form 7 (the form that is on the stem form) accounts for the thickness of the stem form, or if it is to the centerline of the strongback and I then have to remove half the thickness of the stem form from the centerline of form 7?

For example, if I'm using 1/2" thick material for the stem form, do I have to remove 1/4" from the centerline of each half of the form at station 7?

Many thanks!
Rabbit

Re: Stem form and cheek form measurement question

Post by Rabbit »

hi morecowbell :)

the simple answer is ... doesn't realy matter, because station 7 on the bob's isn't needed :wink

if you look at the plans (assuming you are making it from plans and not offset table) it says "station 7 not required". :tu

my bob's certainly hasn't suffered from excluding it.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Rabbit -

You're killing me - I'm working from the offsets so didn't know that. I thought it was a good question! :laughing.

- many thanks!
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

no worries :tu

another good source of info for making bob's is ted's article in "build a boat". the pdf of "build a boat" is available from wooden boat magazine's web site for a few $.
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Rabbit -

I've been searching those terms on the 'net, 'build a boat" and wooden boat and can't find an article by Ted on the Bob's :crying

Any more clues? :thinking
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Morecowbell wrote:I've been searching those terms on the 'net, 'build a boat" and wooden boat and can't find an article by Ted on the Bob's :crying
yeh, i went to wooden boat magazine's web site and it took a bit of poking with a stick to find :

http://www.woodenboatstore.com/category ... blications

scroll down and you will find "build a boat" item #: 160-002 :tu
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Just downloaded it and did a quick skim. Looks like a VERY useful addition to Canoecraft which is saying something since Canoecraft is such a great builder's manual. But it appears to go into even more step by step detail which is great - perfect timing.

Many, many thanks for the recommendation. Great article - it should be more widely known! :tu