Preparing the inside for fiberglassing.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Preparing the inside for fiberglassing.

Post by WMegl »

I am preparing the inside of the hull for glassing. I have scraped the edges of the strips and have started sanding with 80 grit paper. I am not able to sand the bilge area by hand effectively. I can get the relatively flat areas smooth with my random orbital sander, but cannot get the bilge area with a 500 ml soda bottle anywhere near as smooth especially in the areas where I applies the epoxy/Microlight fairing compound/sawdust mixture. Is there a better way?

Thanks.

First Timer
Jim Dodd

Re: Preparing the inside for fiberglassing.

Post by Jim Dodd »

Years ago I had a yellow foam type pad, made by 3M. It took 5" PSA round sanding discs, it had a grip like a small door knob in the middle. I loved it for hand sanding, especially in the bilge area and the ends. I'd show you a picture, but it has vanished. I'm distraught about it, and If I can ever find another one, I'd be most pleased !

A variable speed ROS works good if you can find one that will really slow down. I believe Bosch makes one.

Good luck, and wear a canister type mask while sanding !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I use a 5" ROS held at just the right angle to match the curve of the bilge. Makes quick work of it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Another hand sanding trick is to cut 5 or 6" sections of "POOL NOODLES", you know those foam things that people use for swimming?

I apply a PSA sand paper. It works pretty good.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Jim & Randy: Thank you for your replies. I am using a random orbital sander on the flater sections, but have hesitated to turn it on its edge to match the Hull's curve for fear of "digging in". If you have performed this technique successfully, I will give it a try.
A pool noodle is a good suggestion. The 500ml bottle gives a little when pressure is applied. The noodle will be stiffer.
I assume PSA sandpaper is the type with a sticky back coating?
I have been wearing a simple dust mask because I applied the epoxy repair mixture several weeks ago and assume it's fully cured. But, better safe than sorry.
Again, thanks for your help.
First Timer