Strongback dimensions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Robert Dunn

Strongback dimensions

Post by Robert Dunn »

I am building a strongback as described on pages 96 and 97 in the revised Canoecraft book. The cutting list says the gables are 8" x 8", but the drawing shows them as 8" x 10". Based on how the accompanying photo looks, they should be 8" x 8", but I thought I would ask the question just to be certain.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

Username edits

Post by Joan and Ted »

Hi Robert -

I removed your previous username as requested, but unfortunately lost your email at the same time. (Sorry - Hope this message finds you through this reply) If you haven't already, please feel free to re-register using your preferred username.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hi Robert,
I made mine 8" x 8" and three of them are 6 1/2" x 8" on the coupler that ties the two halves together. I used 3/4" shop grade plywood that was warped. I had to shim my top in a few places to get rid of a slight twist that resulted.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Glen Smith

Strongback

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Robert,

I made mine 8" X 10", and that doesn't leave enough of a "ledge" to clamp the station blocks prior to screwing them to the strongback top. I believe 8" X 8" is the way to go.