Next Project

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Next Project

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here's a few pics of my next project. It was built in the late 40's or early 50's. In pretty good shape. Hope to just give it a sanding and a few coats of varnish... Interesting construction.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ef27b06219
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rabbit

Re: Next Project

Post by Rabbit »

nice!

looks like a honest, strait forward boat with nothing to distract you from it's lines. i'm a bit surprised not to see ribs! is that a plywood/glass composite? :thinking
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Not plywood as far as I can tell. Looks like the hull is about 1/16" thick. Like a veneer. The glass on the inside is quite thick.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Randy, was that a commercially produced boat? It really is a very interesting construction ... like a look back quite a few decades, can you give us any details on the design type?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I believe the canoe was a home-built canoe. I don't know much about the guy but he built two somewhat different canoes. The other one has 1" wide strips ~1/8" thick and the canoe was constructed in a similar manner (strips laid cross-ways rather than lengthwise). Just based on the age of the builder when he passed away, we're guessing they were built post WWII. Neither had seats (other than small frames that sat on the floor of the canoe with cushions (probably for kneeling on). They are both fairly narrow. The guess is that this canoe was built for his wife Suzy (probably after building the other canoe for himself first).

I'm guessing that he used an existing hull as a form when he built these (two different hulls).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Wow! An interesting lay-up. I think it looks fantastic, I really like the deep amber tones the resin has taken. It looks in quite good shape too. An interesting history, for what you know of it.
-JIM-
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I have seen that type of cloth weave in boats and other things.

Judging by the weave, and the veneer, it was built in a female mold. The mold may have been coated with a clear gel coat, then thin veneer was laid in.
Is there any staple marks ?

Then, I'm guessing the big weave cloth, and Polyester resin could've been applied, maybe the resin was sprayed.

I am just guessing, what do you think Randy ? Does that appear at least feasible ?

How come I never find great things like that ? HA !

Great project ! Have fun Randy !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jim,

I doubt you are right. I'm guessing it was made on a male mold. There is a layer of glass on the outside. If it had been built with a female mold with a layer of gel coat, the veneer would have had to have been put in pretty quickly, right? I'm guessing the process of putting in the veneer would have taken longer than the gel coat would allow. I don't see staple holes but haven't looked carefully.

My guess is that it was made by bending the veneer over a male mold (probably an existing canoe) clamped in place somehow at the sheer and then glassed on the outside, removed from the mold and then glassed on the inside (with much heavier glass).

Also, a home builder wouldn't have easy access to a mold (but probably would have access to another canoe).

These canoes apparently sat in a garage for several decades collecting dust until recently dug out when the builder passed away.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Randy, you are probably right.

Does it look like a layer of cloth on the outside ? Might the weave be visible ?

It'll be an interesting project for sure !

Jim
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

To me, it kinda looks like it has Prospector lines.

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Oh yes, there is a layer of 6 oz glass on the outside.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
sedges

english 20?

Post by sedges »

It looks to me to be very similar to the English 20 model by William English later absorbed by Peterborough Canoe Co. I believe it is the canoe in the water on the cover of Canoecraft. The first edition of the book actually had those plans available and I don't know why they are not now. It is a wonderful hull. The Old Town Canadienne is also from this lineage via Ralph Freese at Chicagoland Canoe Base.

The heavy, course weave cloth is old fashioned and the resin is likely to be polyester and brittle with age. A very serviceable hull however and a real treasure to find.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I agree with Sedges, it does look more like the English 20.

Some measuring would tell more.

Jim
sedges

a bit more

Post by sedges »

The construction of this canoe may be developed from the earlier "cedar rib" construction that Peterborough used early 1900s maybe until the mid-1930s. The all wood version had two or more layers of the wide cedar veneers. I guess there were substantial enough glues at that time or else the layers were clinch nailed together. This was, and still is, a very light and rigid construction. It was used also by Willets Canoe Company in WA I believe. Willets had an inner layer of rib oriented veneers with an outer layer of longitudinal strips much like the hulls most of us build.

The canoe we are discussing has only one layer of veneer sandwiched with course, but strong fiberglass/resin. A very good use of more modern materials I'd say.

The veneer construction has made a come-back since the 1980s and with the wonderful resins now available. Very competitive sailing hulls are made the old Peterborough way with several layers of veneer.

Please tell us more about this canoe. I am especially interested in weight.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Sedges, Thanks for the historical perspective. Very interesting. I did weigh the canoe as it came into my shop. It weighs 55 pounds (heavier than I expected but I guess that thick layer of glass on the inside adds quite a bit of weight). It's just under 16' long. I didn't measure the beam (I'd guess around 32"). I'll measure it next time I'm in the shop.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com