Clarification on gunwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Clarification on gunwales

Post by WMegl »

I have completed sheathing the inside of the hull and am pleased as to how it turned out thanks to Jim, Randy, Brian, and all the other forum members who have answered my questions. Thanks again to all.

I am now working on my gunwales and will assemble them using scarf joints. CC states "By attaching the scarf joint to the hull so that one end lies on top of the other, it will be virtually invisible from above." I assume this means the long part of the joint, 7 in. for a 1 in. board, lies against the hull and on the outside of the outwales. The very top and bottom will have the shorter, 1 in., length of the joint exposed on the top and bottom.

Also, only the outwales are beveled. The inwales remain rectangular, corrrect?

Again, thanks.

First Timer
Jim Dodd

Re: Clarification on gunwales

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi WMegl

I scarf and glue (with epoxy, wood dust and ground fiberglass.) my gunnels off the canoe.
That way I can clean them up any squeeze out, and be sure my joints are good BEFORE putting it on the hull.
I use a 11 to 1 ratio. If the join is 1" thick, it would be 11" long. I've never had any come apart !

To me you've completed the most difficult part ! Especially for first timers ! Congratulations !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Jim: I am also scarf joining my gunwales off the boat. When I install them, I interpret CC to mean the long part of the joint is installed next to the boat and on the outside, correct?

Thanks.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think your interpretation of the scarf orientation is correct. I have always used full length material for my gunwales.

As for tapering, I taper both the inwales and outwales. I actually taper the inwales more than the outwales. Here's an example:

Upon reading your question again, it was about beveling rather than tapering.... Yes, the inwale can retain a rectangular cross section if you like (round-over the exposed corners). You could of course bevel the inwale as well if you want (consider how this may affect your ability to mount thwarts or yoke..) The outwale is beveled.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: Thanks for your confirmation.
Yes, I was addressing beveling. Currently, I don't plan to bevel the inwale.
My local hardwood shop did not have any hardwood boards long enough for one piece gunwales. I do plan to taper them both as well as provide scuppers on the inwale.
My outwales will be walnut and my inwales cherry. I took about 1/8 off the horizontal dimension and ~1/16 off the vertical dimension so they will be 3/4 by 11/16 in.

Thanks again.
First Timer
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: Upon a closer look at your picture, the small triangular piece on the right in the front of the boat is between the 2 outwales. You added this piece, correct, to finish off the front? If so, I assume it is only as thick (in the horizontal dimension) as the outwales. If I'm installing a stem band, I should not install this piece and end the outwales at the stem band, correct?
Also, if I understand the location of the hull strips which are 1/8 in. wide, the inwales at this location are only a little bit wider. I assume the thin strip between the in wale and hill strip is the fiberglass cloth and resin.
The deck is the darker wood in a triangular shape all the way on the left, and your inner stem is the 3 piece laminate in the center.

Thanks.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Sorry, my picture created more questions than it answered.

Yes, the small lighter triangle on the right between the ends of the outwales is simply a plug to fill that gap. It's made of cherry (like the gunwales). I could just as easily (actually much more easily) ended the gunwales at the end of the outer stem. This canoe actually does have stem bands. The band simply terminates by butting up against the bottom of that triangle rather than wrapping up over the deck.

Where the inwales end at the inner stem, they are about 3/8" wide filling the 3/4" gap created by the inner stem.

At the risk of sparking more questions that might not actually help you, here's a full description of the pieces of wood that make up the picture (starting in the middle).

The deck is made up of 5 slivers of wood (at least here at the end of the deck - it's actually quite a bit more complicated than that). 3 pieces of darker wood with 2 slivers of cherry separating them.

Outside of that immediately you will see the inwales (cherry) about 3/8" wide.
Outside of that are a very narrow slivers of white cedar (this canoe has ribs and these wedges start at zero thickness at the stem and taper to 1/4" thick over the length of the decks. This allows there to be no gaps between the deck and the hull in case I want to seal off the bow and stern for flotation chambers.

Next you will see the hull strips (1/4" thick) and then finally the outwales.

The inner stem is 3 laminated pieces of red cedar 1/4" thick.
Outer stems are 3 laminated pieces of cherry 1/4" thick but the outer lamination is entirely removed here to make a sufficiently wide flat area for the stem band.

Hope this helps.

Here's a wider view of the bow of the canoe:

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: Thanks for taking the time to explain the details of your picture. It's perfectly clear. I made a mistake in my email when I labeled the thickness of the hull strips as 1/8 in. They are 1/4 in. which makes my question about inwale thickness moot. A perfect example of the effect of advanced age on one's mental processes! :wink

This may not be the appropriate location for a question on the 2015 Rendezvous, but I can't find any information on it on this website. Is there a date set and I assume it will be at Bear Mountain Boats in Petersboroufg, correct?

As always, thanks.

Wayne
First Timer