outwales bending and fastening

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

outwales bending and fastening

Post by brooks »

I have just finished laying up the cloth on my "Ranger". I am very pleased with the results and now I am thinking about my outwales and if I could bend them around the canoe while its on the form and maybe even fasten them while it is still on the form. If I extend all my sheer lines with a 1x2 above the sheer line which is below the SL on the form I can clamp the outer Gunwales to the 1x2 after steaming the 1x1 outwales. Is this nonsense or has anyone thought or tried this. I think the key thought is bending and shaping the outwales while the canoe is still on the form. Has anyone tried it?
Jim Dodd

Re: outwales bending and fastening

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Brooks

Maybe when you take the hull off the forms, depending how you are going to do it, you could set up the forms on the strongback, and then clamp your outwhales to the forms at the shearline.

I use ash for my gunnels, and have not had any trouble just fastening them to the shear, after I'm done with the inside.

Some taper their gunnels towards the ends and have no trouble fastening them, without steam bending.

Also some builders make their gunnels too heavy, thus fitting becomes an issue.

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
brooks

Post by brooks »

Thanks Jim I am planning on using mahogany for the gunwales. I notice that the stations 6,7 and the stem sheer lines have quite an abrupt sweep, and wood take something more than just fastening to the canoe. I guess I will just have to find out. Thanks for the insight. brooks
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Some designs have a rather abrupt up-sweep. The Redbird is a good example. I built it using cherry for gunwales and both inwales and outwales needed to be steamed. The Ranger has a fairly significant curve but appears to be more gradual than the Redbird. You might be able to just bend them dry to fit. When I steam gunwales, I've built a form out of a 2X6 and cut it with a somewhat tighter curve to allow for some relaxing after it's steamed

I don't use screws to fasten the gunwales to the canoe. I just use thickened epoxy (so getting the bend pretty close ahead of time was more important).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I glue and screw the inwhale, and just glue the outwhale.

Screwing the inwhale does three things for me. The most important, it aligns the inwhale with the shearline. Everything is dry fitted before any glue is mixed up. No slipping of the inwhale while clamping.

Reduces the amount of clamps needed. I finally have enough clamps !

And the added strength, as I hang my seats from the inwhale, I'm not a feather weight anymore !

This may be another reason my canoes turn out heavier than I want. HA !

OH my decks are glued and screwed.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!