Deck Length

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Deck Length

Post by WMegl »

Does anyone have a recommended length for a deck on a Redbird that has a good look? Since the bow and stern have a recurved design, I don't want the deck to be too long so that it interferes with the open area of the boat, and not too short so that it doesn't look right. I plan to curve the back (inward) edge into the inwales.

Suggestions on what you have done would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wayne
First Timer
Rabbit

Re: Deck Length

Post by Rabbit »

well wmegl, for me the length of deck was mostly dictated by the choice to add bulkheads fore and aft. my bobs also had curved stems, but not quite as much as the redbird. it mostly had to be long enough to get past the end of the stems. i also wanted to show off the timber that i used. i think that making some cardboard templates of your decks is probably a good idea, then you can trim them to what looks right to you before you commit to cutting timber. i suppose the other consideration is weight. bigger decks will add some extra weight if your decks are hardwood. :cool
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Rabbit: I do not plan on installing bulkheads. And, per CC, the deck doesn't cover the end of the stems. It is mounted in between the inwales flush with the sheer line.

Cutting a cardboard template is a good idea.

Thanks.
First Timer
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

The decks on my Redbird are 17" long (with an arc cut out of them to round the inside). They have a steam bent cherry arc below the inside edge to make a lip for carrying. You can cut out a couple decks from pieces of cardboard and tape them in place to get an idea of how they might look and fool around with sizes until you are happy with them.

In my case with 17" decks, the curve of the sheer definitely comes into play. I built up a rather thick deck and then shaped it with a belt sander. Alternatively, you could build it out of very thin material and steam bend it to fit the curve.

Here's an old pic:

Here's a close-up of the bow deck:

And one more I found...

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice job Randy !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy: That's a beutiful boat. The 17 in. decks look good as far as size and proportion is concerned.

Thanks

Wayne
First Timer