Kayak seat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BellGuy5

Kayak seat

Post by BellGuy5 »

Hello all,
I am currently building an Endevour 17' kayak from BMB. The hull is almost ready for glassing but it is too cold right now to attempt. While I wait for warmer weather, I will start to accumulate all the finishing touches I will eventually need. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good kayak seat? BMB offers the Nimbus seat...I don't know anything about this seat and haven't seen it up close. Any insight would be appreciated.
canoecrafter

Re: Kayak seat

Post by canoecrafter »

I'm not much help as I'm building a Resolute kayak from Bear Mountain and am searching for a seat also. I Googled "kayak seat" and saw lots of seats but read almost no reviews. That being said, the NRS seat in the soft version got the best reviews at http://www.nrs.com. It has a self-adhesive back so should fit our nearly flat hulls nicely, It retails for about 40 bucks and that does not include a back rest. Still looking.
When people figure out what's important in Life, there's gonna be a big shortage of canoes.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I use a custom-carved foam seat in my Endeavour, and love it. After having built a kayak, a seat is easy.
BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

Hi KenC,
What tool did you use to sculp the foam? I would love to do it myself but the tool that I have seen used is over $70. Also, did you follow anyone's directions? You are right though, after building a canoe and kayak, the seat should be easy.
BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

KenC
Just saw your other post...thanks for all the info. You convinced me...gonna do it myself.