need suggestions on finishing cedar strips adjacent to gunne

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
kitisi

need suggestions on finishing cedar strips adjacent to gunne

Post by kitisi »

Im finally finishing (I hope) a 17 ft cedar strip canoe I started 8 years ago, its all glassed and I need to attach the ash 'inner' and 'outer' gunwales, Whats the best way to finish of the exposed edge ( the cedar strips) that is sandwiched between the two pieces of wood. I was thinking to cover the exposed edge with light cloth and a layer of resin and blend it in . Is it best to leave the 'inner' and 'outer' gunwales higher than the top strip to protect it or flush ? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I can be on the lake this summer
Jim Dodd

Re: need suggestions on finishing cedar strips adjacent to g

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Kitisi
I helped a builder glass a canoe that took him ten years to get to the glassing stage, and it worked out fine !
I used to do my gunnels in the manner you described. I would sand everything flush and coat the gunnels and shear strip with Teak Watco. You could varnish also. I've had no problems with this method on boats that are over 20yrs old.

Now days I cap my shear strip with the outwhale. All the inner surfaces are sealed with epoxy. This has proved to be a great method, as I've not had to replace the gunnels on a single canoe.

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Thanks Jim for the quick reply so you cover the edges with epoxy, then sand them flush or leave the gunnels a little higher ?
BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

Hi Kitisi,
I attached my inner and outer gunnels then sanded the cedar flush to the top of them. I then coated them with a couple coats of varnish. I didnt try to keep the gunnels flush with the edge of the cedar strips. When you attach the gunnels they will create a nice curve along the side of the canoe. Once you sand the cedar flush it will look great. I think that trying to epoxy and/or glass the edge is not necessary, but that's my opinion.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

2X Bellguy5

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Kitisi,

I am not commenting on how to finish the shear/inwale/outwale combo, but it does makes sense to attach the inner and outer, then just sand all flush and move on from there.

On my first boat I just used varnish and I have to say it looks good and is fairly robust and easy to touch up as required. That "easy touch up" is the reason I won't be using just varnish on the next one.

I find in the high use areas, you tend to start accumulating nicks, dents and places where the varnish gets abraded away. Varnish is a beautiful finish and fairly tough, but it won't provide any protection against the normal wear and tear on gunnels.

Putting a couple of coats of epoxy, followed by varnish, is a bit of extra work, but I am figuring it will provide some better base protection for the wood, provide a nice surface for the final varnish coats and likely reduce the amount of maintenance, in the long term.

My opinion,

Brian
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Thanks for all the suggestions I am also concerned about the possibility of nicks etc the top of the rails on my old town take a beating from the paddles etc seems to me that this is the place for possible delamination. That's why I thought of the idea of wrapping cloth over the edge however I don't think you would get a good look. Would epoxy just brushed on the exposed wood then varnished work is that what you suggested?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

As others have noted, install your gunwales a bit below the sheerline leaving the hull strips a bit (say 1/16") above the gunwales. Then sand the hull down to exactly match the gunwales (I use a belt sander). I always put a coat of epoxy on all exposed surfaces and then varnish. No need to glass that joint. Some people avoid exposing the hull edge by capping it with the outwale (as Jim notes).

Another thing to consider (especially if you are trying to reduce weight) is to cut a 1/4+" channel (wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the hull and glass on both sides) into the underside of a piece of gunwale stock so that it can straddle the hull edge creating a single narrow gunwale (no exposed hull edge) and then just epoxy it onto the hull. Half the weight...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Testing my rusty picture posting skills.
This is a pic of my gunnels that have been prefit, and ready to attach to the hull. The inwhale is put on with screws and glue, while the outwhale just gets glued.
I route the outside, bottom side of the outwhale. I hope that isn't too confusing.Image
Jim
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Jim thanks for the photos I like that idea did you screw it from the outside as well as glue it. Did you seal the top edge to protect it from water that might seep into the cracks? Thanks again
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Yes and Yes.

I screw the inwhale on from the outside. The pre drilled holes make it easy to align, and saves a few clamps.

The outwhale covers the screws, and you see nothing but wood. The thickened epoxy applied to the outwhale fills any gaps, and seals out moisture. I've not had to replace any gunnels !

Jim
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Would be interested in seeing the finished pictures thanks for sharing.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Is this what you were looking for kitisi? Image[/img]Image
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Looks good I'm going to use that suggestion thanks for posting
kitisi

Post by kitisi »

Well still have not made a decision on how I will attach the gunnels I read in several areas and other sites that covering them can trap water and then lead to rot. Has anyone considered attaching the inner and outer rails leaving them say 1/4 inch high and then fill in the slot with resin seems it would work nice. You might even be able to color the resin for an accent strip just thinking outside the box.
Jim did you glue on your gunnels or just screw i have waited for over 8 years another few days wont hurt but I will finish this thanks for any comments

Jim do you have a picture of the midship showing the finished product