Roundover inwales?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Roundover inwales?

Post by WMegl »

CC doesn't mention rounding over the inside edges, top and bottom, of the inwales. I have cut scuppers in mine. Does anyone recommend using a roundover bit on a router to soften the inwale edges?
CC does address rounding over the outwale edges which I plan to do.

Thanks.

First Timer
Cruiser

Re: Roundover inwales?

Post by Cruiser »

I just picked up a set of these:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... at=1,41182

I tried them on some scraps and they seem to work really well. Being smaller, they can be used in tight spaces .... just a thought.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Good pics !
I use a router on the inwhale edge, that rides against my knees. Also try and skip the area where I attach the yokes and seat.
Round over the bottom outside edge of the outwhale, BEFORE installing with epoxy.

If you choose not to, you can come back with a rasp and work the edges down by hand.

I've always liked how Bell Canoes round over their gunnels ! I need that bit. There is a name for it, but it escapes me now.

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You definitely want to round-over any edge that will get varnished. Varnish is more easily chipped off a sharp corner. It will look better too. Any sharp edge will more likely give you a cut when you bang a hand into it someday. Rounding over before you install is a very good practice. I use a small radius round-over bit on a router and sand by hand to final shape.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

I round over everything for a much softer look. Here is a link to my web site for a discussion on gunwales.
http://www.michneboat.com/Gunwales.htm
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

All: Thanks for your quick replies. Rounding over it is!
First Timer
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Wmegl
I'm a fan of rounding over too.
I like to rout the edges of my inwales just on the underside and leaving an area where the yoke is in the middle and at each end where the decks will be fitted.Once they are fitted I then rout the upper edges.
I cut my scuppers using a pillar drill to drill the ends followed by cutting the straight sides with a jigsaw before slicing the inwales length ways to make a pair from one piece of wood.
Cheers
Alick :wink