Stem measurements

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
hughhallhh56

Stem measurements

Post by hughhallhh56 »

As I mentioned in my first post I want to build a couple of Rob Roys. For the stem stations I am not sure if the offsets take into consideration the addition of the 1.5 inch thick stems? So my question is do I just cut the stem molds at the indicated offsets or do I need to subtract 1.5 inches from them?

thanks in advance.

Hugh
Stephen

Re: Stem measurements

Post by Stephen »

When you say 1.5 inch thick stems, I assume you mean two stems, each one 3/4" thick.

The procedure is to deduct the thickness of only the inner stem. This is covered in the last paragraph of page 95 of Canoecraft, revised and expanded.

On a similar topic, page 42 states that 1/4" must be deducted from the station molds to allow for the planking. This is an error in the book, DO NOT DO IT. All the station molds are the correct size when plotted from the tables of heights and half-breadths **; no deductions are necessary here.

** except for errata in Freedom 17 and Hiawatha 15 http://web.archive.org/web/201211081136 ... estems.htm
hughhallhh56

Re: Stem measurements

Post by hughhallhh56 »

Yes 3/4 on each end. I just wasn't sure if the offsets given included the reduced length if using a stem. I have now reduced the length by 3/4 inches.

Thanks