bulkhead or no bulkhead

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

bulkhead or no bulkhead

Post by brooks »

I have been sanding the inside of my Ranger for quite some time now and I wish I was done but I'm not. But in between sanding I have been designing my decks and building two paddles. I went with the beaver tail. My next decision is whether to put in bulkheads. I'm going with a long deck similar to that canoe in the water, on the front cover of CC. I like that old look. With that big of a deck at each end is there a reason to put in a bulkhead. The canoe on the cover doesn't have one. I brought my inner stem all the way back to station 5 and it work like a dream. that's where I would put the bulkhead and the deck would end just past that about an inch, with a curved edge raised above the deck to divert water. has anyone used along deck on there canoe with a bulkhead. Mine is over 2 feet long and I think about the aesthetics of it. To much maybe? I know its my decision but I always welcome feedback.
Jim Dodd

Re: bulkhead or no bulkhead

Post by Jim Dodd »

As builders we all personalize our boats !

The reason I put in flotation chambers, is I like how it floats a swamped boat, especially if I'm in moving water. Myself I won't build a canoe without flotation chambers.

Large decks are fine, I like a drain hole at the very end to allow excess water to drain, from where it collects under the decks.

Post a few pics for some eye candy !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!