Particle board molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
digger

Particle board molds

Post by digger »

I just received some molds from Bear Mountain Boats. All my other molds I made from MDF or plywood. I'm concerned about the longevity of the particle board. Although I'm not in a high humidity area, I feel as though I should apply some sort of sealer as protection.

Any thoughts?
brooks

Re: Particle board molds

Post by brooks »

I made my forms out of particle board and didn't use any finish or sealer. I did use 3 coats of paste wax on the perimeter and about 3 inches into the form sides. I put the paste wax on after the form were on the strong back. It worked like a champ and I had no problem removing the stations and the stem molds from the cedar strips. They almost fell out. I didn't put a sealer on the stations because I thought it might change the stability the particle board already had and wetting it might jeopardize it. I have seen what happens to wet particle board.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

On a set of plywood forms I've used several times, I varnished the edges, with left over spar varnish.
It does preserve them, and the staples hold better to.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

My PB molds are 2 years old and are fine .... but I store them in a dry place, if there is any chance of them getting wet, seal them.

Simple coat of any kind of varnish is enough.

Just my $.02

Brian