Speed Testing a canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jim Dodd

Speed Testing a canoe

Post by Jim Dodd »

Over the years, I've pondered a way to test the speed, and efficiency of my canoes.

I threw together a bracket to hold my GPS.
With the clamps, I can easily switch from one canoe to the next.
Now for the test.
My plan is to start with a calm day, and no current.
First I'll paddle as fast as I can to obtain max speed.

Then I want to test what I term, Glide.
I'll take the hull up to say 5 mi/hr, and then time how long it takes to drop to say 2 mi/hr.

Any comments, or suggestions welcome !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Re: Speed Testing a canoe

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jim,
I'm not sure what exactly you're attempting to measure here. Different hulls have different maximum hull speeds (the speed at which a bow wave is built and paddling becomes exceedingly more difficult to go any faster). I would think that the time to drop from say 5 mph to 2 mph might be pretty short (and the measurement would depend on how quickly your gps calculates - mine probably refreshes once every second at best). It's not apparent that max hull speed is directly related to your glide time measurement (although it might be actually a more useful measurement of "ease of paddling".
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Randy

This is a subject, that I have found little information on, especially for the home builder.

I guess what I'm trying to determine which hull is actually More efficient. And how to measure that on the water, and not through design.
My GPS measures down to the tenth of a mile. I know what you mean about how it would be inaccurate when changing speeds. Tracking comes into play here to.

Cruising is a difficult thing to determine, as so many things can be varied, especially with the paddler.

Glide might be easier measured, by determining water resistance !

I was thinking about a pull test. Take two canoes, weigh them down with equal amount, including the weight of the hull, distribute the weight, fore and aft, equally.
Attach a line at near the water line of the bow, and put a scale on it. Then place them in the current of a river.
In my theory This might yield some meaningful data.

Anyway this is a topic that has intrigued me for some time !
Thanks for your thoughts Randy !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've often pondered this as well. My idea (that I've never done anything with) was to measure the current (into a trolling motor) required to propel a given canoe hull to a speed of X (for various values of X). You could generate a straightforward graph of current drawn vs speed for different hulls (loaded to the same level in each case). You might need to normalize the transfer function of the motor itself (different efficiencies at different speeds) but that would generally be cancelled out across similar hulls.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Jim,

This is definitely an interesting topic ... I think the biggest problem is defining a meaningful measure ... one that can be common across different hull designs.

You might need to consider a measure at different hull speeds as well, from what I have read, hull efficiency changes with speed, it may be possible/needed to measure your parameters at several speeds to adequately describe a hulls performance.

Likely you will need to find a way to measure energy to get the hull to a set speed or measure the speed a set energy gives you.

I like the idea of calling it water resistance, because that is essentially what you are measuring.

Maybe a setup with a weight scale hooked between the canoe and a tow boat ... accelerate to a set speed, measure the pull of the canoe .... accelerate to next speed and so on ... that could give you a direct measure of the canoe drag at several speeds ...

I will ponder some more, this the kind of problem I like ... thanks for posting it

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

It definitely deserves some pondering !
Energy required is a good point ! Any hull can go 5 mi/hr, but the amount of energy is the question ! As a paddlecraft, where the power is applied alternately from side to side, this adds another dilemma !

Right now my testing time will have to be put on hold, as I'm deep into building.

Thanks again !

And Keep on Pondering !

Jim
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Jim
On the River Great Ouse I once came across a speed trap (really for the bigger boats )essentially it was a couple of marker posts on the bank and you were to time your progress between them to check your speed and then adjust as necessary.(Self policing!)
You might be able to use such a set up to save having to use GPS and then you would also be doing the test on the same bit of river but of course it doesn't take variations in flow into account so perhaps a swimming pool or small flat lake would be better. :thinking
cheers
Alick :wink
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Thanks Alick

I've been pretty busy lately, I have a lake, and a reservoir near by, that will work, if I can get a relatively windless day !

Who knew retirement would be soo much work ?

Jim