Shaping Stems. Need Guidence

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JesseP

Shaping Stems. Need Guidence

Post by JesseP »

Hey Everyone,

I am currently attempting to shape my inner stems and have some questions. I feel like i have over shaped my stems and removed to much thickness from the inside of the inner stem. I started at 7/8 and am now at just over 1/2. Have I removed to much. I have also veered over my leading edge slightly. I will attach some photos of my progress. Any advice is appreciated. I just hope I don't need to relaminate my stems.

Thanks A lot
I'm up to my torch.
JesseP

Re: Shaping Stems. Need Guidence

Post by JesseP »

Also, any help in uploading photos is appreciated. It is telling me(The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB)
I'm up to my torch.
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Hi Jesse,

Don't take my input as worth much at this point (I'm still working through my first one too), but for what its worth, the vertical portion of my inner stems are quite thin too. I'd say in the same ball park. My strips seem to come onto the stem nicely so far. I think the stem width gets greater as you round to the bottom of the boat, at least that's what I'm expecting based on CanoeCraft and other forum posts... =P

As for posting pictures, I found the easiest was to go to imgur.com, upload the picture, then place a link to that imgur image address in the "Img" tags. Just make sure its a link to the actual picture, not the imgur page containing the picture preview. I think any 3rd party host address would work as well as imgur, for that matter. I see a lot of older pics linked from photobucket.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

The link Stephen posted is spot on, it is worth making the Photobucket account (it's free) and just clicking the image link and pasting it straight into your post.

When you shape the inner stem to receive the strip, you take the leading edge (part facing away from the inside of the canoe) of the inner stem down to 1/4" width. Once you have a strip on either side, you have a 3/4" base to receive the outer stem. IF you mean that the edge nearest the inside of the canoe is at 1/2", you are definitely in the weeds and need to stop and take stock.

Brian
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

That was my thinking after I stopped to think about what was happening. I don't mind making new stems and doing the job right. My only question is that in Canoecraft on the section on shaping the stems it talks about shaping a 1/8 leading edge and fairing to that line. When you make a 1/8 edge you have no choice but to reduce the inside part of the inner stem to 1/2 inch to receive the strips. Should i be making 1/4 leading edge and disregarding what Canoecraft says?

Thanks
I'm up to my torch.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

It's 1/8" on either side of the centre line, that total's a 1/4" ....
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Thanks Cruiser,

I must of misunderstood the book. I will relaminate a stem and start from scratch. The illustration on page 117 of the seventh printing is where I got my information from. I'm just glad I didn't go further. Thanks for your speedy responses they are much appreciated.

JesseP
I'm up to my torch.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Page 115 and 117 of Canoecraft mention a 1/8" (not 1/4") leading edge. There is also this excerpt from the Canoecraft Companion DVD. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa1FzPJUfp0

It seems to me if you left a 1/4" leading edge on the inner stem you would have only a 3/4" surface (inner stem plus two thicknesses of planking) to mount the 7/8" wide outer stem which means you would have to be very careful about getting it centred. You want a bit of overhang on each side so you can trim the outer stem in line with the planking.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I will have to check the book again, but the strips are not cut at 90 degrees, so they represent a bit more than 1/4" . Going with an 1/8" centre would just make it more of an issue
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

It is hard to argue with Ron Swanson, if Ron says to go with a 1/16th on either side of center line then that is what I will continue to do. I was worried about mortising for the outer stem but that worry has been put to bed. I will continue shaping tomorrow. Thanks for all your input I will keep everyone posted and hopefully when done my boat will float....and look good of course.

Thanks again.
I'm up to my torch.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Jesse

I've been considering whether I should have disagreed with Cruiser so quickly. While Canoecraft does say 1/8", if you leave a 1/4" leading edge you gain two advantages. You have less material to remove from both inner and outer stem, which will save you some time. This in turn leaves the stems slightly thicker and stronger.

As for the outer stem overhanging the planking, this will still happen if you're careful. If not, and the planking ends up proud of the outer stem by say 1/32" or so on one side, there's enough thickness of wood here that you just trim the planking down instead to match the stem in that spot.

I need to remind myself that there are many paths up the mountain, but they all lead to the top.

In the end, as ever, it comes down to your best judgement.
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Shaping the stems is one of the easier parts of stripping a canoe. Here is how I did it.
http://www.michneboat.com/Shaping%20the%20Stems.htm

John
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

I definitely used a 1/8" leading edge, and I definitely have an inner stem width around 1/2" along the vertical portion I have shaped so far. Hopefully this is ok, as there is no turning back for me at this point. =)

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have an inner stem related question to add...

Is there a hard rule to know when the strips should start going all the way to meet each other at the bottom of the stem instead of leaving this 1/8" leading edge of the stem? CanoeCraft seems to indicate that it will be obvious, but I've been known to miss the obvious more than once. The only thing that seems certain is that this leading edge should stop at-or-before where the outer stem will end.