Help with my football

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
RBAIRD

Help with my football

Post by RBAIRD »

I just finished my detail on my football and need to continue stripping, I now I am supposed to continue up to the center line and then cut it. My concern is trying to make sure the strips are running parallel and not at a weird angle to each other.
I was thinking of starting at the center line and working my way back down to the design.
Opinions on which way to proceed will be greatly appreciated ?
I am building the Nomad and at this point she is pretty close to being flat on the bottom
Thanks Randy
alick burt

Re: Help with my football

Post by alick burt »

Hi Randy
Nice Work :wink
I'm sure you will get both opinions and some more as there are many different ways to do this but I would work in from the outer side to the centreline on one side following the curve and then cut a centreline before doing the other side.You will have to bend the strips so it might be easier if they were only 12mm wide.The first one will have to be cut perfectly at its ends which will be tricky but the rest can probably be left a little over and cut when you cut the centre.
Another way would be to run the strips in line with the centre.
I did my Sea Kayak like this which is sort of a bit like what you could have if you run the strips parallel to the centre but almost a mixture of the two.
Cheers
Alick :wink
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Do you still have a bead and cove to work with or is the side flat now?

Either way ... it seems you can just continue one side, as pointed out, by Alick, only the first strip will be tricky. As far as the angle, it would seem that part is already defined by your design, just go from mid point to mid point.

Awesome design, you know we are going to want to see more pics of the process .... please.
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

thanks for the replies and help
I wanted to do a little more in the middle alick maybe I'll borrow a little of your design which looks awesome
randy