Strip length for Endeavour 17

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
hughhallhh56

Strip length for Endeavour 17

Post by hughhallhh56 »

As I get closer to finishing my Rob Roy I am thinking about the next one.... :sealed lips . Haven't spoken to the wife yet, but thinking about making a kayak. Simple question I have is how long of strips do I need for making the 17 foot endeavour? I'll be near my cedar supplier in the next few days (4 hour drive away) and thought to buy some planks now. With the Rob Roy I had built and installed the stations before I went to the cedar store so I simply measured what would work. I won't be able to do that this time. I'm hoping 18 foot strips will work as I don't like the idea of scarfing 60 strips and not sure I can get anything longer than 18 foot.
Cruiser

Re: Strip length for Endeavour 17

Post by Cruiser »

My next project will be a Freedom 17, I did the calculations (several times) and I figure 17' 6" is enough, so I plan on going 18' to give me some room to play with the ends.

I then measured my current project, the Kipawa @ 16'6" and that measures out at 16'10", so although I thought there would be more impact because of the width, that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Food for thought.

Brian
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

1 foot over hull length is a good rule of thumb.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

---
Last edited by Stephen on Sat May 02, 2015 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

I just finished an Endeavor 17 and used 18 ft. strips. They worked out fine. In fact, the little extra length on each end, before trimming, came in handy when trying to clamp/coerce strips onto frames, especially around the tight curves of the forms.