Beveling Inwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

Beveling Inwales

Post by brooks »

Im building the Ranger. What a beautifully shaped canoe. Looking at the tumble home and how severe it is I measured it to be 1/8 th inch in 3/4. That would work until station 3 or 4 and then the inwale would start sloping up going towards the ends. Is this a common way to shape the inwales. After assembly I would plane the top into the Longer decks I plan on building. Similar to the canoe on the front of CC. If i dont bevel the inwales there would be alot more work to level out the Gunwales. CC says to bevel the Hullside of the inwale first and also taper the hullside of inwales to the end. I would appreciate any feedback on these ideas. There is not to much on this subject that I can find so your past experiences would be most welcome.
alick burt

Re: Beveling Inwales

Post by alick burt »

Hi Brooks
I don't think I have found this a problem with my Peterborough's as I have always done cambered decks so the fact that the top edge of the inwale slopes in doesn't matter as the deck rises up from the joint line.I always fit my inwales before the decks.
Thinking about it if you were to have flat topped decks I would fit the inwales and then spokeshave the top edge as a rolling bevel to the horizontal.It will be easier to gauge the amount with it fitted as you can put a straight edge across the two of them to check it as you work.The amount of material removed wouldn't be that great especially if they are tapered and then you can use the top edge as a guide to fit your decks too.Also the nearer you get to the bow and stern the less the bevel will become.
Cheers :wink
Alick
brooks

Post by brooks »

So Alick if I bevel my 1/8 in on the hull side of the inwale I should be good all the way, end to end and the crown on the long decks im making will work almost perfectly into the tapered ends of the inwales. That is what I was steering towards. Nice Deck by the way. Is that wrc.
brooks

Post by brooks »

Alick Am I reading CC correctly. It says to taper the ends of the inwales to 3/8 in on the Hull Side of the Inwale. The key words are "Taper the Hull Side Of the inwale".