Installing seats with cleats.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Micmacjay

Installing seats with cleats.

Post by Micmacjay »

I'm getting to the poing in my canoe build that I need to start making some cleats to install my walnut seats that I am currently working on.(And soon to be hand caned). I'd like to have them made and epoxied in next week. I've been searching the site a lot tonight looking for tips. And was wondering if there may be any good advice to be found that has eluded me. I know most of you guys are big advocates of hanging from the inwales but mine are cedar, the hangers would have to be quite long, and I just think the cleats would look better. So any tips would be helpful. My thinking right now would just be to tape them in place and insert a brace from side to side to hold them in place while the epoxy cures.
Stephen

Re: Installing seats with cleats.

Post by Stephen »

These are the results of an advanced search for cleat|cleats on the forum. If you've already done this I apologize. search.php?keywords=cleat+cleats&terms= ... mit=Search

A random survey shows that they're not all about seat cleats, but some are. I tried using seat as a search term too, but it just gets ignored as too common a word.

Rather than read the whole post, just quickly scroll down until you see the search term highlighted (aka the pink block with the illegible word inside it)
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I am planning ahead and am also wrestling with this issue as well .... I need to increase the capacity the seat can hold.

I don't kneel and I like stability so I lower my seats about 5-6", by the time I reinforce the gunnels, and use 7" x 5/16" (need the width to get the length) carriage bolts there is a lot of weight to consider versus just putting in a cleat. It's for a Kipawa and lowering by 6" still puts the cleat well up on the wall.

There wasn't a whole lot in the search posted, anyone have opinions?

Brian
Micmacjay

Post by Micmacjay »

Thanks for the reply. I did go through most of those already. There wasn't much regarding making or installing cleats but I'm sure I will figure it out. I'm against drilling anything through the hull.
cff

Post by cff »

Micmacjay.
I built a rice lake skiff and installed the seats using cleats. I'll try and dig up some pics of the install. Keep in mind that I used solid plank for the seats and not a lightweight frame so I was more concerned with overall strength than aesthetics with the install. I bedded the cleats in thickened epoxy mix and used brass screws through the hull to fix the cleats and then back filled the heads with an epoxy wood flour mix. I didn't glass over the holes. So far everything has held up nicely after years of use and abuse. I run a 6hp evinrude out the back and I'm not overly gentle with the boat.