The Versatility of the Strongback

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jim Dodd

The Versatility of the Strongback

Post by Jim Dodd »

Today after cutting Ash for my gunnels on the strongback, I started thinking how useful a tool the strongback really is !
Not only does it hold my forms while I strip up a canoe, but I cut my strips on it, cut my gunnels on it, use it as a clamping station when scarfing my gunnels, and for clamping together all the little pieces for my feature strips.
I use it as a moveable work table,it stores my spring clamps making them easily accessible, it can be used as a saw horse, and canoe or kayak stand.

The wonderful Strongback !Image Image Image

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Re: The Versatility of the Strongback

Post by alick burt »

Hi Jim
Yes I agree.
A while ago I made an extra one of the ladder style from Gil Gilpatrick's book because I was asked to make two boats at once.As it turned out I ended up just making one as the customer changed his mind at the last moment.
I had the spare strongback top and stored it on a couple of screws on the side of my original strongback.
Then earlier this week I found a great use for it as a support on the outfeed end of my spindle moulder when milling my strips, and when I don't need it I can store it on the original strong back again. :wink
Cheers
Alick
Jim Dodd

Re: The Versatility of the Strongback

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Alick
I'm always using mine.
Wheels on one end, makes taking things outside easy.
Guess this thread technically belongs in tips and tricks !
I'm OK if someone wants to move it !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!