Sourcing Cedar

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Pit Boss Mike

Sourcing Cedar

Post by Pit Boss Mike »

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help/advice regarding sourcing western red cedar. Im in Niagara Falls and many of the places I've called don't have clear or anything close to the length I need. Im building the 16' Prospector.

If anyone could help with a source it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
DrPepper

Re: Sourcing Cedar

Post by DrPepper »

JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Hey Pit Boss Mike,
I had the same issue looking for clear WRC in my area (East central Alberta). I called about 15 Lumber yards in a 200km radius looking for some 16' WRC until one of the yards told me about a place that stocks it. My only suggestion is call around and actually talk to people and ask questions until you track some down. Maybe there is a Sawyer or someone around that someone knows of in your area. You will be surprised how little people advertise and how powerful word of mouth can be.

JesseP
Last edited by JesseP on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm up to my torch.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Mike,

I am in your neighborhood and I faced pretty much the same issue, sourcing was a PITA. There is a place in Hamilton I talked to:

http://www.aitchisonlumber.com/red_cedar.asp

They seemed to have stock and were knowledgeable about what I needed. I didn't end up using them as I found a closer source, but Hamilton is pretty close to you. Give them a call and see if they can help you.

They told me the 2x4 's were the most economical way to purchase, but they had other sizes as well.

Brian
Pit Boss Mike

Post by Pit Boss Mike »

Thanks for taking the time to reply......the prospector is 16'1''. There is a place near me that has lots of 5/4x6''x16' ers, plus a few pieces of stuff someone already milled to 3/4 that are 19 feet long but only 1 3/4 wide. Could I get away the few pieces I could cut out of the long ones?? ..........

Thanks,

Mike
Pit Boss Mike

Post by Pit Boss Mike »

I talked to Noah's marine and was told by the guy there, that they milled all the clear stuff into strips, and that even though that it was listed for sale on their website they couldn't sell me any planks....

Mike
BellGuy5

Post by BellGuy5 »

Hi Mike,

Assuming that you want planks and are going to cut the strips yourself...Go to Exotic Woods at 5229 Harvester Rd in Burlington. They regularly stock 20' cedar boards just for making canoe strips. When I was building my Prospector, I went there with my block plane and spent an hour sorting boards. They didn't mind at all. I also got them to dress the boards down to 3/4" which didn't cost much.
Pit Boss Mike

Post by Pit Boss Mike »

I spoke to exotic woods early today, they have three pieces of 5/4 and 4/4 left......I think I'm gonna roll the dice and pick up some 16'ers here in Niagara plus some long scraps.

I love reading the build logs so I'm going to set one up, a blog. I'll share when it's active.

Mike