Advice on Butt Joints

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
tosino's son

Post by tosino's son »

and they hang "upside down" also.
mike1212

butt strength

Post by mike1212 »

This is a simple way to look at the strength needed for a butt joint. The wood is for the most part just for looks, the epoxy and glass is your strength. Theoreticaly you could build the hull out of anything and it will still perform, theoretically! The main forces put on the hull is front to back (If you run into a rock or shore) and its bonding between the inside glass and the outside glass. Hope this helps
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

Hey Patrick's Dad,

There was no need to be worried about the orientation of the leaf (it looks great, by the way!). Nobody I know here in Canada would perceive any disrespect for our flag - most would probably be flattered that you would want to use it :D . The canoe was an invention of the original aboriginal peoples of the continent and its use certainly transcends any current borders. That being said, the canoe was the primary means of transportation and exploration of the country. Canadians tend to view the canoe (I believe - but stand to be corrected) in the same way Americans view the covered wagon - the images of the Voyageurs, Coureurs de bois, and early canoe explorations are a part of the national psyche.
I, for one, am glad you put a maple leaf on your canoe. Just be sure when it's done you bring it up north for a paddle :!:

Cheers,

Jeff
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Jeff, Thanks for the kind words (and great advice). You can count on a visit to the North Country when we're done!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com