Coaming material thickness

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
phindel

Coaming material thickness

Post by phindel »

First time kayak builder...
Wondering whether I can use 1/4" plywood for coaming. Has anyone tried thickness other than 1/8"?
KenC

Re: Coaming material thickness

Post by KenC »

Whose coaming construction method are you using? I didn't use plywood at all.
1/4" cedar strips for the riser, and a lamination of cedar, ash and walnut for the coaming lip, that ended up being a little over 1/4" thick
phindel

Post by phindel »

KenC
Thanks - I'm using Kayakcraft book by Ted Moores. Maybe I misread it - thought they said Luan plywood 1/8" or hardwood. Actually having trouble finding 1/8" Luan anyhow.
I do have some leftover 1/4" cedar strips though - that's a good idea. You sure have a sweet looking boat in the picture.
KenC

Post by KenC »

Kayakcraft does refer to using plywood ... I deviated from the plan for both the coaming, and the coaming recess. For the recess and coaming riser, I used the method described in Nick Schade's "The Stripbuilt Sea Kayak" and for the coaming lip I just made it up as I went along. If you decide to go this way, feel free to ask questions.
phindel

Post by phindel »

KenC,
Good to know. I did find some 1/8" Lauan locally, and man is it thin and persnickety to use. I've managed to make a few layers but it's tedious and I'm not loving this part of the build. Oh well. I may check out Nick Schade's method now.