Have you ever built a canoe for a restaurant?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

Have you ever built a canoe for a restaurant?

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
Once again I have been commissioned to make a canoe for a restaurant.In fact I have been asked to make two!
They will not be going in the water and I am told once they are hung up in the room they will not be removed as this will require the removal of a window.
One will be hung upright the other will be upside down and they will be purely decorative.The last time I was asked to do this the boat I made was covered with resin and cloth as per usual but I left the inside rough and it was hung from a pair of simple thwarts to save on cost.This time the one that is upright will be done in the same way but the other one will be fully finished as its sides will still be visible even though it is hanging upside down.
My question is does anyone know where I can get some 4 oz 60 inch wide cloth in the UK?
I think this will be cheaper (if I can find some) and as they are not going to be used the lack of strength will not be an issue.
I am using my Peterborough 16 forms but I have set them up to produce 15ft boats so they will fit in the space.
I am currently planking check them out on my website.http://www.woodencanoes.uk/#!Peterborou ... de992eba33
Many Thanks
Alick
Jim Dodd

Re: Have you ever built a canoe for a restaurant?

Post by Jim Dodd »

Nice work Alick !

I've built two that ended up as cabin decorations. Both were built to paddle. They were the Wee Lasse type.

RAKA in the States sells 4oz in 60" width. It should be available in Europe ?

Here's a pic of one http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y39 ... 0eaa6d.jpg
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Jim
Thank you,nice boat too.I like the accent stripe.
Yes I still feel I want to make them seaworthy just in case one day someone is tempted to try them out.I will see if I can find a RAKA supplier who has 4oz ,60inch cloth in the UK.
As far as I know so far there is only one supplier of 6oz 60 inch cloth(and they are not cheap because they know they have a monopoly on it!... oh and they don't have 4oz in 60 inch wide :sad
Many Thanks
Alick
KenC

Post by KenC »

Last I checked, the only place you can get Raka products is from Raka's Florida location. But he'll probably ship it to you. I've ordered my epoxy from him and even with shipping to Canada (as a hazardous substance) and customs brokerage fees, it was still cost effective. Simple glass fabric should be easier to ship.