stongback length Ranger 15'

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mikebolcer

stongback length Ranger 15'

Post by mikebolcer »

Hello, my sons and i are building the Ranger 15'. We are trying to determine the best length to build the stongback which will allow us to pin the inner stems to the ends of the stongbacks during the stripping process. Hoping someone can help. From the plans it appears to be aprox. 14'2" but would really like to confirm with someone who has actually done this, thanks!!!!!
Patricks Dad

Re: stongback length Ranger 15'

Post by Patricks Dad »

Here's my advice....

Build the strongback at 16'. You need it when you build your 2nd canoe (and 3rd and 4th)....

Consider building your forms a bit taller to raise the hull up a bit. You will then be able to put a block on the strongback surface to pin your stems to thereby avoiding any need to customize your strongback length to match the (first) canoe.

I've built 2 canoes (#2 & #3) that were 15' long on my 16' strongback after building the 17' Redbird...

Enjoy your build with your sons. It will be an awesome experience.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
mikebolcer

Post by mikebolcer »

Thank you! will do
brian

Post by brian »

Hi Mike,

I'm in the middle of my Ranger build now. If you're building off the Bear Mountain plans, the plans raise the canoe so you don't need to have an overhang. The 16' strongback will work just fine.

The stem mold plan also has a cutout at the outer end. If you don't cut out that piece, you could pin the stem there. Or follow Randy's advice and put another block there. (He knows way more than I do.)

You can make out the cutout in this picture. (Picture 4 at the link if the picture doesn't show up.)
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/collec ... anoe-molds

Enjoy your build!
Roel

Post by Roel »

Hi all,

I realize this thread is pretty old but here goes;

I’m building the Bear Mountain Ranger 15 ft with my father (but mostly with my son;-)). We’ve just completed the strongback with 16 ft length. I read this post with great interest because I now run into the question of raising the molds or not. Do I understand correctly that if I use the molds dimensions as descibed in the plans, I don’t run into problems with the Stems? So no reason to raise the molds?

The project thusfar was mostly about organizing the workshop and all the materials. Now the fun part of building begins. I love it...

All the best,

Roel
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

I am also building a ranger at the moment. I lofted the station molds from canoe craft also. I only have the molds set and first strip mounted, but can confirm the molds as lofted are high enough to use a 16 foot strong back. Now everyone send good vibes for warm weather so I can start gluing strips. Been sitting waiting for 50+ deg. for 3 weeks now.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

50 is fine to start gluing, just swap out to a lower temp glue like LePages Express .... you don't need a premium like Titebond II for strips, almost any glue will be overkill for cedar strips.

Just check the "Chalk Temperature" of the glue you use, it just needs to be below your ambient.

Brian
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

Thanks for the tip on the glue Cruiser it would get me started 10 deg. sooner but I didnt see a U.S. seller for the LePage. Our Northern brothers get all the good stuff.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

There are several glues available, you just have to check the product line of the type in your area .... most manufacturers have a range of glues
RustBelt

Post by RustBelt »

Roel wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:28 am Hi all,

I realize this thread is pretty old but here goes;

I’m building the Bear Mountain Ranger 15 ft with my father (but mostly with my son;-)). We’ve just completed the strongback with 16 ft length. I read this post with great interest because I now run into the question of raising the molds or not. Do I understand correctly that if I use the molds dimensions as descibed in the plans, I don’t run into problems with the Stems? So no reason to raise the molds?

The project thusfar was mostly about organizing the workshop and all the materials. Now the fun part of building begins. I love it...

All the best,

Roel
I'm working on the same canoe and built a 16' long strongback as outlined in Canoecraft so that I could use it for other boats in the future. I think you'll have a little issue temporarily attaching and tapering the top of the stems if you don't do something (since the canoe is built upside-down, the top of the stem is next to the strongback). Instead of raising the forms though, I just cut approximately 1' of length off of the 3/4" plywood strongback top on each end so I could work down into the box beam. I saved the cut-offs and labeled them so that I could reattach them later.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Actually, you would have an issue using a spoke shave or such, but I never did use those. On my first build, I looked at John Michne's website and found what I call a Michne stick ..... a strip with some sandpaper attached.

If you scoot down near the bottom of this link, you will see a japanese cut off saw and a picture of a strip with sandpaper attached... I explained the technique there .... use that and there won't be any issues getting the ends shaped

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2006&start=60

Brian
Roel

Post by Roel »

Thanx Rustbelt and cruiser. I’ll use both your ideas probably. Those photo’s are pretty useful! I’ll let you know how it all works out
Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.