Varnish/Polyurethane Recommendations?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brian

Varnish/Polyurethane Recommendations?

Post by brian »

Hi all.

So, I just got done with fiberglassing the hull of my Ranger. Was off to assembling the seats and gunwales. Well, I goofed and got so caught up in the fiberglassing that I didn't plan much beyond. Assembled the seat frames and was about to varnish. Drove to the local big box stores and nothing. Went to look online and learned just how little I know. (Yikes!)

So with that, which varnishes or polyurethanes are recommended? Beginner friendly would be a good thing, since I have limited experience with coatings. I'd like fairly clear as well, but don't know how much that would affect options.

Thanks in advance.
Cruiser

Re: Varnish/Polyurethane Recommendations?

Post by Cruiser »

Hi Brian,

The advice I got when I did my first canoe, was to buy one of the better varnishes, I don't regret following that advice.

I use Epifanes from Noah's Marine, I believe they have outlets on both sides of the border:

http://www.noahsmarine.com/items.asp?Cc=Varnish-CV

You are at the exciting part of the build, enjoy it.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Good advice !
If in doubt, just look up Cruiser's builds. Always nice !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
brian

Post by brian »

Thank you Brian!
Just ordered 4L of that varnish and 3L of thinner. Hopefully that will be enough for this build.

Jim, I've used many builds as inspiration. Can only hope mine looks somewhat decent in comparison. Which so far, seems to be looking good despite my best efforts!