Screw Gunnals?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JesseP

Screw Gunnals?

Post by JesseP »

Hey all,

I'm back at the build after a long break mostly due to frustration.. I have FINALLY and successfully installed both inwales and outwales and am looking for a little advice. When it comes to the outwales should I be concerned that I never used screws to attach the outwales to the hull? I had enough clamps to do the job without the need for screws and was uncertain of seat location and didn't want the screws to be in the way. Looking back now I am wondering if the screws in anyway add strength to the gunwales when it comes to the weight of the user sitting on the seats?.. etc. Would it be a waste of my time to attach the screws now that the epoxy has dried?

Thanks again guys!! This build would be impossible without the help of all you!!

JP
I'm up to my torch.
Jim Dodd

Re: Screw Gunnals?

Post by Jim Dodd »

In my opinion, the Outwhales are fine without screws.

Did you have scuppers ?

If you did a good job of gluing your Inwhales on, you should be fine. I've always glued and screwed the inwhale, and just glued the outwhale. The screws aid mostly in aligning the inwhale.

I saturate my gunnels with mixed epoxy, and while that is soaking in, I mix up some more epoxy, to which I add fillers. To the consistency of peanut butter, or close. Slather this mix on my gunnels, and start clamping. The inwhales are prefit with screws, and this solves the problem of inwhales from slipping out of place, and just saves time.

Others my have a different view. But I'd think with epoxy, you should be fine.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
JesseP

Post by JesseP »

Thanks JIm! That was my original thought as well then I got thinking and thought I would check with the experienced builders on here :tu . I did use screws at the gunwale where it has a major swoop towards the stem because there was no way to clamp there and there was some major bending pressure. Thanks again and I look forward to sharing photos of the build with everyone.

And yes I do have scuppers 5 toward the bow from centre and 6 to the stern.

JP
I'm up to my torch.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've never used screws on either inwales or outwales. If you pre-soak your gunwale surface with unthickened epoxy and apply appropriately thickened epoxy and don't over-tighten your clamps you will be fine.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com