came off the molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
RBAIRD

came off the molds

Post by RBAIRD »

How screwed am I I just noticed the I've come off a couple of my molds
I thought the flex was caused by the design in my football from removing to much wood sanding it
Can I place so a couple of shims to firm it up or should I glass the way it is?

Thanks for the help
Cruiser

Re: came off the molds

Post by Cruiser »

Is this a symmetrical flex (same both sides)? How much space are we talking? Where on the hull is this (bottom, side)?

I would be concerned that once you deviate from the mold shape you are off the design shape. I think I would halt until I knew what the potential impact of the "flex" away from the mold will have on the design.

At this point you have only invested time in stripping and the wood ... if you continue, you risk wasting the major expenses (glass/resin) and a lot more time, on a potentially bad foundation. As you know, every step in the project, is built on the previous steps ... any issues need to be resolved before you can move on.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

How about some pics !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

I went down and measured I'm 1/8" off molds 6 and 7
The area it is at is relatively flat
When you look at it you can't tell it is there so everything looks right
I'll get a pick of the underside and the side of it tomorrow
Here's a pic of the outside looking down
http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Randy ... sort=3&o=1
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I wouldn't sweat an 1/8".

A trick I learned on this site, from "Patricks Dad" was to hot melt a wood block to the underside, and with a bungee cord or strap. Pull the hull to the form on the inside, while you glass the outside. It worked for me on a hull.

But again, I wouldn't sweat an 1/8".

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Concur with Jim, shim equally both sides .... so it doesn't move during glassing.

I can't imagine that small amount across 2 stations is going to have any effects that you could see or measure.

Brian
RBAIRD

Post by RBAIRD »

Jim and Brian thanks for the help
I really did not want to have to make major repairs on my football as I'm just waiting to be able to line up a couple of buddies to spend the day laying the glass----Speaking of which it's spring time in Montana and my shop is not heated
What temps should I be looking at for glassing?
Thanks Randy
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

That is a tough question Randy and the answer also depends on how you intend to do the glassing.

I like to get the 3 coats done in a day, with no sanding between coats, for that I wouldn't try it below 18C ... as the epoxy setup will be slowed, the cooler it is ... which will extend the time required to get all the coats on.

I use epoxy below that temperature, but not for anything as big and non reversible as glassing.

I am close to the glassing stage on my current build, but I will be holding off till I can get warmer weather.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've been glassing in a heated shop, with no less than 65 degrees F.

I would try and bring in some heat source and warm things up !
Apply your epoxy, and lower the room temperature 3 to 5 degrees F
This will greatly reduce air bubbles in your resin !

Brian has a good method. I do the same. Apply wet out coat, and let cure until dry. Stay with it to tend to air bubbles and anything that pops up.
When you apply fill coats, apply them while the previous coat is still tacky. One to two hours apart. This helps eliminate runs.
Apply fill coats, until you can no longer see a hint of the weave of the cloth.

Extra help is great, especially if they have experience in epoxy glassing !

Good luck !

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I like to have a couple people help and although my garage is heated, it is too small to have a couple of people working when it's closed up.

I usually take equipment outside (to make access around the canoe easier), do a thorough tidy up of the work space to make sure everything needed for doing epoxy is laid out and ready. You don't want to be looking for something or banging into something else, all while trying to do the job.

I usually have some one mix the epoxy batches and setup that station outside the garage. The epoxy process does create some fumes, which in small quantities isn't too bad, but for a whole boat I like to have a big fan ventilating the area. I usually push air down one side of the garage and it comes out the other side.

I can work without a mask that way and not have to worry about anyone else in the work space. Hence I am waiting on warmer weather.

If your shop size has room for you and helpers and you have the organic vapour mask, seal the garage as best you can and get a electric space heater or 2 in there to get things warm enough. If you don't have a burning deadline you may want to wait on better ambient temperatures.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

By the way Randy, I love the design in your hull ! You have obtained a " Master Strip Fitter " status !

One of the great things I learned from Canoecraft, was only needing to fit one side of the football ! I can't imagine how much time that has saved me over the years !

Jim