Canoe seat mounting that allows for different tilt positions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
dirknibleck

Canoe seat mounting that allows for different tilt positions

Post by dirknibleck »

Has anyone seen something like this? I'd like to mount my canoe seat in such a way that it has preferred positions for seating and kneeling, and I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm considering hanging or mounting a rail that has slots routed into it and setting roto-hinges into the seat arms.

Thoughts? Is this a crazy thing to consider in the first place?
Jim Dodd

Re: Canoe seat mounting that allows for different tilt posit

Post by Jim Dodd »

I just paddled a friends canoe, in which he built a pedestal seat.. If I kneel. I want to be able to exit without tangling my feet on the seat !

His pedestal seat was narrow, and yet comfortable, and it wouldn't tangle your feet. His seat slides, but doesn't tilt. It could be modified, but don't think it would be necessary.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

By the way, Welcome to the site !

And no questions are not crazy ! Always look before you leap !

Jim
dirknibleck

Post by dirknibleck »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Any thoughts on what I proposed? The biggest challenges I see to it are maintaining the condition of the roto hinges, and ensuring that the brackets remain stable.

Thanks,
Paul
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Are you needing just two positions ?

Hinges on the front, one on each side, and blocks on the back also attached by a hinge, either to the seat, or the bracket. From a lowered position, you would simply lift the back, and fold the hinged blocks on the rear, to wedge between the seat and hull bracket. To give you the desired angle. Pretty simple and straight forward. Maybe a bungee cord to keep it from rattling during trans port.

A picture would help I know. Right now it's just in my head.

Jim
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Maybe a sketch?
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

OK Cruiser

I just drew this out on a Post it Note, and snapped a pic on my mouse pad.
I know it's VERY CRUDE, but you asked for it !
This would be a cross section view. The left side is the front. The black box is the spacer. The round holes, are the hinge pivots. The small rectangulars are the hinge arms ?

AGAIN ! this is very crude, but I hope you get my idea from this !

OH there is a flaw in the back hinge arm ! Can you spot it ?

Jim
dirknibleck

Post by dirknibleck »

Yes, I'm just looking for two positions. Hinges make a lot of sense! Thanks! I think I was over complicating it...
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

That's easy Jim, the spacer block orientation isn't consistent.

I have to ponder some, but this just seems more complicated than it needs to be.

Brian
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Just came back from 6 days in the Quetico and came to the board to post this question! Getting to and from the ranger station from Hook Island was a haul, headwinds on the way out and crosswinds on the way back, and just the general back strain of the trip makes inquiring minds wonder about the alternatives to the sitting position. It seems that the kneeling position has some advantages - lower center of gravity, better leverage and less back strain - ? Neither my back or knees are what they were, so probably a pick your poison choice for me! But going to check on the pedestal seat concept.

Another thought would be this product, designed for baseball catchers: https://www.amazon.com/Easton-A165118-K ... B000F4EBAQ
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I always bring a long a backrest for my canoeseat. There are lots of choices out there:

https://www.google.com/search?q=canoe+s ... 5ZCXamM%3A

I use a seat cushion / backrest combo that is easily removable so it can double as a camp chair on the ground affording the same back support in the evening.

shifting positions often also helps.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Trailguide Pictures

Post by Trailguide Pictures »

Hi,

Adding a tilt to the rear seat is a great idea. I've added a bit of an angle to my own for a while now.

I got the idea from a meditation bench (years ago). The meditation bench was angled and when kneeling it felt perfect. I can compare it to those weird ergonomic chairs. The angle sort of allows the lower back to maintain a proper position. Of course with a canoe seat you can't have too much of an angle or you won't have enough room for your legs to slide underneath the seat. Still, I've found that even with a slight tilt the seat is more comfortable.

You can only do this with the rear seat though because if you end up going solo and sit in the front seat of the canoe your tilted seat will be facing the wrong way.