Here's a list of my "issues" (some potential). I'm crossing my fingers that those with more experience can tell me what I've done wrong, and how to fix a couple things. (Note, I've only laminated one stem in case I wanted to improve on the second...)
- 1) I deviated from Canoecraft by using 1/8" laminate strips with the intent to dry-heat bend, but aborted the heat bend for steam. I am stuck with 24 1/8" stems (6 for each stem). This may have led to the next issues...
2) When laminating, I epoxy coated all mating surfaces. It was my first time epoxying... I didn't think I was using much, but apparently it was A LOT. Epoxy was everywhere. The stems were basically glued together and to the mold. I did follow advice of Canoecraft and used lacquer thinner to clean up squeeze-out. Should I have simply epoxied one surface of each joint? (Also think I had so much glue because I had 6 pieces per stem, rather than 3). (Note, I'm using West System 105/207 with 403 filler... not much filler at all, not even to ketchup stage).
3) When forcefully splitting the stems from the mold, the inner cedar stem split at the tightest bend (see photo below). The split is exaggerated in the picture. How should I fix this? (Assume epoxy somehow with 403 filler). Note the split crosses layers.
4) Lastly, I'm not sure what is normal for spring-back post gluing. The stems sprung back on the bottom (photo below). I assume this may be normal, but want to be sure in case I should redo the stems. My guess is the hull kind of holds the stem in place when formed around the molds, then the outer stem must be screwed on.
Thank you for your help! I'm excited to post more build pictures as this progresses!
Inner cedar stem split when pried from the mold. The stem is flexed in this photo to exaggerate the split (click to expand):
Inner and outer stems lying next to mold showing spring back at bottom, and outer stem spring back around bend (click to expand):