Sealing the deck underside

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
dirknibleck

Sealing the deck underside

Post by dirknibleck »

Can anyone advise if it is a terrible idea to seal the underside of the deck with 5-minute epoxy prior to installing the deck? It seems like a reasonable idea to me, but I feel like there must be a catch that I'm missing.
Jim Dodd

Re: Sealing the deck underside

Post by Jim Dodd »

More info please !

What is this on ?

Is it a canoe you are building ?
Pics if possible.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
dirknibleck

Post by dirknibleck »

Hi Jim,

It's a freedom 17. I don't know what other information I can give you. I've completed forming and shaping the decks. Now I'm going to install them. I plan to seal the gunnels and decks with a couple coats of epoxy prior to varnishing. I intend to seal the underside of the decks as well as the top, but it seems a a little difficult in tight quarters once installed. Hoping to reduce my wait time I'm considering sealing the underside with a different epoxy that I have on hand, that will likely go on more yellow, and possibly less clear, but the deck underside isn't a visible part of the canoe...

Thoughts?
Denis

Post by Denis »

It is a very good idea to seal it all with epoxy but you can wait till it is installed if your in a hurry to instal decks. I always epoxy them the day before I install but you should be able to reach up under well enough to seal it after. It wouldnt hurt to thin it a bit with thinner before hand to help it soak in. That said you can alway just use varnish to seal it afterwards if desired again thinning it out a bit to help it soak in.

Denis
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I am with you Dirk, it's a lot easier to epoxy them prior to installation.

Once the epoxy cures, you can lightly sand the fitted edges (there will always be drips) and the top and bottom, making them ready to be epoxied in place and also ready for varnish. It's a small piece, i would likely sand after a day or so, then wait a couple days for it to cure, make sure you wipe it down with water ... lots of folk have had trouble with varnish failing to dry over fresh epoxy and it is generally thought to be omitting the washing step.

I assume you are putting epoxy on the decks to make a stronger surface .. i.e. make the wood somewhat more dent resistant. If this is the case be careful about thinning the epoxy, a little is ok, but it doesn't take much to compromise the strength of the epoxy. There is a good article about that on the West System Epoxy site here:

http://www.epoxycraft.com/thinning-epox ... tem-epoxy/

So if you are just toughening the surface, penetration is really a moot point.

I am almost to this stage with my Freedom 17 build and I am using white and red cedar for the decks to save weight, they will get epoxy to help harden the surfaces. I intend to apply the epoxy, sand the top and bottom, then fit the decks .... saves me cleaning up the fitted edges ... epoxy them in place and they are almost ready for varnish.

And to answer your other question, 5 minute epoxy will not be in the same class as the regular marine epoxy you are using ... i would avoid it for this application.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Just a trick, and you may have thought of it, is tip the canoe upside down. After installing deck, and gunnels. That way the epoxy will stay where you want it.

Me, I'd mix some epoxy and add a little filler ( sawdust would be fine), with a small brush paint on a coat, on the underside of the deck.

The filler will give you enough thickness to make a water tight seal.
Next day, done.

Here's my weep holes again.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!