Transporting Kayak

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rmoffat

Transporting Kayak

Post by rmoffat »

I've just finished my True North 19'3" kayak and have purchased some J-Rack carriers for my roof racks. Have received some mixed opinions/views on the best way to transport my kayak, without doing any damage. Some say cedar strippers should be attached to roof racks horizontal/flat in cradles, and others say J-style cradles are a better choice. Any thoughts out there?

Rob
Jim Dodd

Re: Transporting Kayak

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'd favor horizontal/flat. Upside down, if it rained, the cockpit would stay dry.
More aerodynamic. The saddles offer more support to the deck than a strap on the deck.

Just my reasoning !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
digger

Post by digger »

A word of caution:

I've carried my canoes everywhere on my roof without issue. I did just have a terrible experience carrying a plastic kayak on Yakima racks. These are the racks that hold the kayak in a near vertical condition. I had recently returned from a vacation that included carrying the kayak on my 2014 Grand Cherokee for well over 600 miles without an issue. I was taking the kayak back to my 2nd home in the mountains when the kayak, while still attached to the Yakima racks, crossbars and factory roof racks, flew off my vehicle. If this had happened while carrying my cedar canoe, I would have been heartbroken. However, since the kayak was still attached to the crossbars, there was very little damage.

I've read about several occurrences of roof rack failures but Jeep does not cover this under the extended warranty. My car insurance is covering the repairs. The entire roof must be replaced as the rivets that attach the rails to the roof, completely pulled out and is not repairable.

I'm still researching ways to reinforce the OEM setup but can't really find anything. It'll be a while before I'm brave enough to tie anything to roof rails.

Be safe.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Digger

I use a Yakima tower mount in front of the vehicle roof rack and find it fastens securely to the frame of the roof. Yakima likely has a tower and clip system that would work for you.

Picture shows the tower mount in front of my roof rack and canoe secured by straps. The rear rack is fastened to the factory rails. I have transported canoes and kayaks this way for years with no mishaps.

Denis

Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

That seems like a lot of boat sticking out in front of that last rack ... I may use that for local transport, but if I was going to hit a highway, I would definitely add a front strap to the bumper (to prevent lateral movement). Otherwise, a good crosswind at speed may cause some pretty serious movement IMO.

Brian
Denis

Post by Denis »

I am adding a picture to clarify what I referred to in my above message. In the picture you will see how the rack is mounted to the frame of the vehicle and the clips used are specific to each vehicle model.

It also show the L shaped brackets fastened to the bar of my rack. the brackets are easily adjusted to fit tight to the canoe gunnels and staps are designed to fit just inside the bracket as well.

On highway I usually attached a lead from the bow to an anchor point I have installed near the front of the hood on each side. To date I have never had an issue with anything shifting sideways in wind conditions. Yakama does caution to always use a bow line to secure the front of canoe to the vehicle.

I hope this clarifies things for those looking for a safe way to transport canoes etc.

Stay safe when transporting :tu

Denis