Up a creek - Planking up to the keel

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fromagefro

Up a creek - Planking up to the keel

Post by fromagefro »

Hi,
I've planked and planed one side, and I think my center line might be off.
The problem is that one one side, where I'm planing it down to fit, I'm short about 1/2 cm (see picture below)
I've already glued two planks thinking it would fix itself as I worked my way up, but apparently it's not.
My bow side is perfect, where there's a perfect 2 cm gap to fit my next plank. But on the stern side, it's only 1.5 cm.
I've shaved back my center line where I can, so I think I'll be alright in about 3-4 planks, but until then, any suggestions?
Should I rip off the glued planks?
Or just have a few planks that don't line up perfectly on the bottom of my canoe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Re: Up a creek - Planking up to the keel

Post by Cruiser »

That is a very good detail shot, but there are quite few ways to strip and what the rest of the boat looks like would help understand what you are asking. Any chance of pulling that shot back some, so we can see more of the strips and how the centre line and strips look?

Brian
fromagefro

Re: Up a creek - Planking up to the keel

Post by fromagefro »

Sorry for the late reply.
My center line was off by 1/4-1/2 cm. I redrew my line, planed down what I could, and for the parts that my plane wouldn't fit, I used a chisel. It's not as perfect as it could be, but it'll work.
Thanks though!
Kyle