Renovation of a 100+ year old Canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

Renovation of a 100+ year old Canoe

Post by alick burt »

Hi Folks
My latest project is a little different but it still brings up the occasional question that some here may be able to help me with.
I am restoring a 100 + year old Canoe (Probably a Strickland according to Dick Persson of the WCHA.)

I have begun to strip the old varnish off the inside and some on the WCHA site mention using teak cleaner after varnish stripper.

My question is do I need to go over the hull once more with stripper or is it ready for the Teak cleaner stage? and if so should I use a one pack or two pack teak cleaner? ( I've never heard of it)

You can see more details and learn more about this wonderful find in my blog here.http://www.woodencanoes.uk/single-post/ ... ne-Antique

Any help appreciated as I want to do the very best job I can for such a worthy craft.

Alick
wysedav

Re: Renovation of a 100+ year old Canoe

Post by wysedav »

You might want to ask Robin at canoetrpping.com. He rebuilds 5-10 a year.
alick burt

Re: Renovation of a 100+ year old Canoe

Post by alick burt »

Hi Wysedav
Thank you I went ahead with teak cleaner today which revealed she might be a Thomas Gordon instead of a Strickland as I think I found the word Gordon under the importers plate.
If only these old canoes could talk I bet they would have interesting tales to tell :-)

Cheers

Alick