Epifanes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Epifanes

Post by WMegl »

I am closing in on the final step- varnishing.

Ted suggests 2 quarts of spar varnish. I will be using Epifanes. I don't know yet if I will spray or brush. I do plan on as many coats as I can tolerate. At least 6, maybe more, like up to 10-11.

My question is, how much for each method for let's say 6-7 coats. I am making a Redbird.

This is what I want, right?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Timer
Cruiser

Re: Epifanes

Post by Cruiser »

The 2 quarts is a good start, it should put you in the right ball park.

Obviously, how much you use depends on the thickness of each coat and that can vary a lot.

If I can make an application suggestion, I tried this on my last build and it worked really well. I applied the varnish with a roller and tipped it off with a foam brush (a good quality bristle is likely best, but I hate cleaning brushes, so I use good quality foam brushes).

Here is a link about the method and results:
Varnish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LPpK5wnoPc
Marine Paint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k1DbGFsLgo

The roller gives an even application and the brush gets rid of any bubbles and allows the varnish to smooth down. You do a small area "say 2-3 sq ft" with the roller, then tip that off with the brush and move on. (Note on the foam brush: I read somewhere that the ones with a "Made in the USA" are different and better, I have found this to be true for me).

The important point is not to fiddle around with the varnish too much, get it on, get it even, tip it off and move on.

There are lots of application techniques, but this is the simplest and fastest, I have found and it works well for me.

Brian
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Brian: Those are excellent videos. Thanks. I think these have convinced me to use the rolling/tipping method rather than spray. Spraying wastes a lot of material, and the overspray is a mess or requires a lot of work to protect surrounding equipment/areas. The rolling/tipping technique appears to give a good looking finish which is the only reason I would use the spray method.

Thanks.

Wayne
First Timer
Denis

Post by Denis »

the foam brush to use is the JEN brush which is made in usa.
Likely find it in paint stores as oposed to most hardware stores as they are more expensive. I soak mine between coats and reuse it with no ill effects. I believe they also make a foam roller.
I did my last varnish job with a foam roller and tip off with foam brush and was very pleased with the result.

Link to Jen website http://www.jenmfg.com/index.htm

Denis

WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Thanks, Denis. I will look into the foam brushes from JEN.

Wayne
First Timer