Cane type

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Cane type

Post by WMegl »

I was speaking to a cane seat designer, and he suggested plastic canever natural as being more durable and maintenance free. He stated that it's difficult to tell the difference.

I would appreciate views on this issue. I don't want to offend the wooden canoe gods, buy I like low maintenance.
First Timer
Cruiser

Re: Cane type

Post by Cruiser »

Are you stuck on cane seats?

There are lots of other options that are likely stronger and even less maintenance.

As an example, this link has more than one seat design/material:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4480

You can likely find other examples in the forums ...

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

For comfort in cold weather, neither cane, or snowshoe cord keep your bottom very warm.

Webbing is warmer.

Mortise your seat frames. They hold together better, especially under weight.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

What mine look like with the nylon snowshoe cord. They will probably out last my canoe.
Cane, I almost guarantee won't.

Jim
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Jim & Brian: Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I am committed to cane as it gives that traditional look.

I am making the seat designed by Green Valley Boat Works pictured below. Jim- it does call for morticed joints. The picture you show confirms that you can't tell the difference, so I think I will go with nylon.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Timer
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Good choice !
What I use is 1/2", they also make 1/4" and 3/8".
I believe the company now is called Country ways.

Good luck, and post some pics !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I have a canoe with natural cane seats that is 33 years old. It is stored indoors and doesn't get a lot of use. I have only used natural cane (I have heard good things about the "plastic cane" though). They probably do require less maintenance. I can't comment on how much (or if) it stretches over time. A good cane job won't stretch over time and looks elegant. It does require a few coats of varnish though. The weaving exercise is more work than using other (non-cane) materials such as webbing. I have also used rawhide which is less work and also is pretty "authentic" (also needs to be varnished after it has dried).

Also consider pre-woven cane material which is attached to the frame with a groove/spline approach. Looks great with less work.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Jim: Will post pic's as I go. I always appreciate comments and suggestions from forum members. Thanks.

Randy: Good point on natural cane's longevity and durability. As a matter of fact, I have an Old Towne with cane seats and it's about 30+ years old. It uses the groove/spline method and does need some maintenance now- after over 40 years.

Thanks for your replies.

Wayne
First Timer