Attaching inner stem to stem mold

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
tetonrr@live.com

Attaching inner stem to stem mold

Post by tetonrr@live.com »

My stems for a 15' Ranger have been cut and epoxied and now it's time to attach the inner stem to the stem mold. I'm assuming the inner stems are screwed to the stem mold. If that's the case is there a preferred placement for the screws and will 1 1/4" drywall screws be OK.
Thanks
Rusty "semper fi"
Cruiser

Re: Attaching inner stem to stem mold

Post by Cruiser »

The common way to attach the inner stem, is to use 2 screws and drywall screws are OK to use.

The top portion of the front stem (bottom on form, but actually top of boat), usually has an area above the shear ... place a screw there and it doesn't show ... this piece gets trimmed. Not always, but most times the inner stem butts on the second mould from the end, the second screw goes here through the mold and into the end of the stem.

If you use screws, just be careful, if you tighten them very much, you risk splitting the stems.

I don't even use screws on the stems anymore, I spent all that time drilling the clamp holes, in the stem mould, it just seemed I should just use them with a few clamps to hold the inner stem in place. As you start stripping, the strips hold that section of inner stem and you just remove the next clamp as you get to that area and it's in the way. It just saves a step for me, and I find it works.

Brian
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Rusty
I use one screw at the bottom end( top when on the jig) of the stem where it hits the station.Screwing through the station into the end of the stem.I don't use a screw that is any bigger than a no 6 by 1 1/ 4" to avoid splitting the stem.At the other end I clamp the stem on and also add another clamp that I move along up and down the stem whilst I shape the rolling bevel.I also use a shaped block once the stem is shaped to make holding it easier.

Here are a couple of pictures.The first shows a stem with a clamp at the bottom.The top doesn't need it as it is held by the screw.

The second shows a shaped block used to hold the stem once some shaping has taken place.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alick :wink
tetonrr@live.com

Post by tetonrr@live.com »

Thanks Alick the photos help a lot. Getting ready to start routing and making sawdust.
Rusty "semper fi"
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

The only thing I would add here, is to keep an eye on the stem alignment (with the mould) for the first few strips .... it can move off of center, I usually have a clamp somewhere around the middle of the stem, to hold it in place till the strips get to that point.

At that point the strips lock it in place and it can just be removed when it gets in the way.

Brian