Stems To Stem Molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kap

Stems To Stem Molds

Post by Kap »

New builder here. Thanks in advance.
After soaking, forming, and drying three days, laminated, with thickened epoxy, the inside and outside stems to the molds. Waited over night, then removed epoxied stems. Inner and outer matched well. Mounted all station and stem molds to strongback. When re-laying stems over stem molds, they seem to have sprung out somewhat and will need to be clamp to reform to mold (although they, when put together, still form to one another). Should they be closer to the original mold when fitted, or is this a normal process to spring out and need some help fitting to mold? Judging by some photos in Canoecraft, and elsewhere, it seems as though I may have done something wrong in the lamination process. Just worried that if I clamp inner to mold, lay up strips, I will have a problem down the road with the outer connection. Before I continue on the build, I'd like to know the process is right.
Mark
Denis

Re: Stems To Stem Molds

Post by Denis »

no worries, they do spring out, just clamp into position when shaping and planking being careful to keep the stem centered on the form as you shape and plank. A couple of clamps at the top and one on the bottom should do the trick.

Denis

Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

It seems to me, once the clamps, that hold the stems to the stem form, are removed. There is undo pressure on the glue joint between the inner stem, and the strips.
This could be avoided, when steam bending, by using a form that over bends the stems.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Kap

Post by Kap »

Thanks, Denis. I guess maybe I was overthinking it a might, but I figured it was better to as a silly question rather than make a stupid mistake.
I agree Jim, but what you suggest would mean making two different sets of molds and trying to over adjust leaving me with the opposite problem as now, no?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

A little spring-back on your stems once laminated is fine. The outer stems may require a bit of clamping when you apply them too but if they fit together well when you glued them up, they will fit fine later. The pressure on them (and the strips) once the hull is stripped is minimal.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Kap

Post by Kap »

Good to know PD. Thanks for the input.
Am now relaxed and ready to carry on. :tu