Gluing Bow and Stern Short Strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
esunstru

Gluing Bow and Stern Short Strips

Post by esunstru »

Hello Forum
I am building a Ranger 15 without staples and the cove down. I am trying to figure out the best way to get the glue on these strips without making too much of a mess. My first attempts have been less than stellar. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Eric
Cruiser

Re: Gluing Bow and Stern Short Strips

Post by Cruiser »

I can't be of any help here, I build stapleless, but I couldn't really visualize how cove down would be easier than cove up .... so I am a strictly cove up builder.

Having said that, there are a few people here that do build cove down, I am sure they will chime in and give you some advice on process ....

Good luck

Brian
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Check this post and scroll down to the first photograph. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2969
esunstru

Post by esunstru »

Thanks Stephen. I am using this technique for the longer strips and it is working well. My problem is with the short strips that I need to add to the bow and stern under (over?) the sheer strip that served as the first long strip for the canoe.eric
Denis

Post by Denis »

double bead your first strip on the turn up and then you can glue cove up afterwards.

Or, pinch the plank bead up between two fingers and using a glue syringe have someone pull plank away from you as you apply glue on the bead between your fingers. after the first couple you will get it done much easier as the planks get shorter :wink

Denis
esunstru

Post by esunstru »

Thanks Denis! I'll give that a try.