Modifying stem profile above waterline

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Modifying stem profile above waterline

Post by Cruiser »

Looking for opinions on a modification I am looking at for my next build.

I am going to build another Freedom Solo, of course I don't want to build it exactly like my last one, I have plans for the trim ... but that isn't my question.

I saw a Kootenay style canoe and the ends just look so cool, I thought ... why not stick those on the Freedom, I love the way it handles and am not really interested in changing the build performance, but I could mess around some with the style.

I lofted new bow and stern stems patterns, starting the sweep well above the waterline, they ended up swept back ~12" bow and ~9" stern, ending at the shear line. The plan is to make new patterns for the bow and stern ... then just build the boat .....

I figure it will cut some weight out and lower the wind profile some ... couldn't see any downside as all the change is above the waterline.

The question is, is it really just that easy?

Brian
Jim Dodd

Re: Modifying stem profile above waterline

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Brian
I'd set up the forms, and with a batten, check for fair.
I'd have to dig out my plans, but believe at least the first form, that's attached to the stem, needs to be modified.

Bruce Kunz, used the same basic hull shape for his Kootenay, as his Merlin. Changing the stems, and narrowing the adjacent form, cutting back the flare.

Again set up your forms, and play with it.
I'll dig out my plans to confirm, as I'm just working from my memory.

It's fun to play with design !!!

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!