4th epoxy coat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

4th epoxy coat

Post by WMegl »

I have applied 3 coats of epoxy resin with 6 lb. cloth to the outside of my Redbird and there are several spots where I can see the cloth pattern. They are bout the size of a quarter and the surface is smooth. I suspect I was either too aggressive with the squeegee removing excess epoxy during application or with the sander in preparation for the varnish coat.

So, I want to apply another coat of epoxy which would be the 4th.

Should I still use a squeegee after brushing on the epoxy to remove excess, or should I just brush on a thin coat and then sand in preparation for the varnish coat?

Thanks.
First Timer
Cruiser

Re: 4th epoxy coat

Post by Cruiser »

I assume the boat is currently sanded and ready for varnish and you noticed those spots when you damp wiped the hull.

When I apply that 4th coat, I use a roller to get a nice even, thin application, then tip the area with a foam brush. Don't be too aggressive with the roller, the faster you go, the more air you entrain and not all of it will dissipate, tipping it off as you go will give a near perfect finish.

If those areas are under the epoxy, the 4th coat isn't going to help ... take a cloth wetted with mineral spirits and wipe the area, if the glass wets, it will almost disappear, then you know you sanded too far and the fourth coat will help. If it doesn't change at all, it is likely under the epoxy and the 4th coat won't help.

Just my opinion,

Brian