Stem mold lofting

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Vaddison

Stem mold lofting

Post by Vaddison »

I'm starting my first canoe, a 16' prospector and I'm not sure about lofting the stem molds. I was able to loft all of the other molds without any problems but the info on the stem molds leaves a little to be desired. It doesn't have a profile point or a sheer line. Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated ted.
Cruiser

Re: Stem mold lofting

Post by Cruiser »

Welcome to the forums,

Had the same issue when I lofted my Freedom 17, there just didn't seem to be much in the way of info for this purpose, that wasn't over my head. I did post a detailed account, which the recent photobucket crisis broke, I have restored that post for you to read, I think the Bow and stern stem explanations should answer your questions.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4658&p=29021#p29021

If you have any other questions or this doesn't give you the info you need, just ask for more.

Brian
Last edited by Cruiser on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Ted

First Welcome !
It's been awhile since I drew up the Forms for the Prospector.
You might try a Search here by typing in Stem lofting.

I'm looking at the plans in the book now, and beings you've already drawn the forms, you should have an idea what to do.
I draw my stem forms on a separate poster board. I prefer Poster board, as it's stiff, and when I cut the patterns, it's easy to trace onto the plywood.
Draw your center line, and base line, and I drew a grid of 1" squares. Transfer the numbers to the grid.
Some use a batten. I just used a set of French curves.

Hopefully someone else has done a better job of explaining it !

Hope this helped !

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great job Brian !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Vaddison

Post by Vaddison »

Thank you for the information, I will take a closer look at it all when I get home from work.
JRosekelly

Post by JRosekelly »

Wow, that link from Cruiser was really helpful. I've read Canoecraft and gone through most of the forum the past couple weeks. Hoping to loft plans for the Prospector and start building this fall. I'll definitely be referring back to that post in the future. Thank you.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Hope you find it useful and have fun with your build ..... and don't forget to post some pictures ..... we love to see what everyone is doing.

Brian