Water-based stain under epoxy?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
cedarphile

Water-based stain under epoxy?

Post by cedarphile »

Has anyone tried to apply fiberglass cloth and epoxy on a cedarstrip hull that has been darkened with water-based stain after final sanding? How did things turn out?
Jim Dodd

Re: Water-based stain under epoxy?

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've never done it.
But Water base, is better than Oil base !

I would seriously make up a test sample, before taking anyone's recommendation ! Your situation may be different than someone else's, and I'd hate to apply resin, and then find that the stain ran on me !

Good luck ! And Share your experience with us !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I would be very careful, read the literature on the stain, make double sure it is not a sealing stain .... that could create a whole host of issues, and none of them would be good for epoxy application.

Brian
cedarphile

Post by cedarphile »

With Jim's advice in mind, I've made up two test panels. One for a trial of water-based stain on white cedar strips, and the second a test of a new epoxy I haven't used before (Clark Craft).
I had to make up a test panel anyway for the epoxy so making another for the stain test was no problem. I'll post the results. Should be within two weeks.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Do a search here on the forum for "stain" and you will find a bunch of posts on the topic (along with many posts on stain problems - ignore those). The guidance appears to all point to success with water-based stains.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

You should be fine as long as the water has evaporated! Check Green Valley Boat's site, there's an article on there about staining with analine dyes (water based)
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

I am using West System epoxies, so I called them about using stains under their product.

They said water based stains are ok.

I stained some of my accent strips and it appears the epoxy stuck to these strips well. This was done over a year ago.

This link may work better:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vrHxrMKgX3csTxIw1
First Timer