Epoxy Seat Spacers to Inwale?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
esunstru

Epoxy Seat Spacers to Inwale?

Post by esunstru »

Hello Folks
After a year and about 200 hours I have completed the woodworking on my Ranger build, my first canoe. Now I am waiting for some mild weather so I can bring it upstairs to the garage and sand the hull to get it ready for varnish. I was wondering if I should epoxy the seat spacers to the inwales or leave them loose for some reason? Appreciate your input.

Here's a picture of the boat so far. If anyone is interested in seeing more photos, I've been journalling the build on Instagram @canoebuild2017

Thanks
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cruiser

Re: Epoxy Seat Spacers to Inwale?

Post by Cruiser »

I think I would use that spacer as a spacer .... run the bolt through the gunnel, spacer and afix under the seat ... Unless you are doing hidden hardware, then run the bolt from under the seat, through the spacer and into the gunnel hardware ... either way i think using the spacer as a spacer leaves it more flexible to changes or maintenance.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I wouldn't epoxy the spacers ! As you said you may need to remove them someday ! Maybe for seat adjustment, or repair .

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
esunstru

Post by esunstru »

Perfect! Thanks again guys