S-glass vs E-glass?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Morecowbell

S-glass vs E-glass?

Post by Morecowbell »

I'm playing around with using a different core material for my canoe (balsa or foam), neither of which are as dense as WRC, so I'm curious about S-glass vs E-glass. I've read that S-glass is much stronger, more abrasion resistant, etc. but it seems to be overkill for these canoes in the WRC version. But with a less dense core would S-glass would provide more protection or other benefit than e-glass at the same cloth weight? I've made two panels, one using E-glass and the other S-glass, and they appear to have pretty similar stiffness characteristics - kind of amazing how much difference the glass makes! And if S glass would be better, should it be used on both sides or just the outside?

Thanks for any thoughts
Jim Dodd

Re: S-glass vs E-glass?

Post by Jim Dodd »

There is a big variation in S-glass.
Recently I laid on a layer of S-glass on a composite hull I'm building. It was 6 oz. I had a terrible time getting air bubbles out of it, because it was so tightly woven.
My advise, and something I do to almost all of my hulls, is to just add an extra layer of E-glass, on the outside, in the football area. Up to about the 2 or 3" waterline.

It is darn near invisible, and adds a lot of strength and abrasion resistance !

Oh the cost of the S-glass, was very close to Kevlar, in the same weight.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Jim,

I got my S glass from Sweet Composites, only place I could find that had 60" S-glass. I was just doing a 1' x 2' panel but I didn't have any trouble wetting it out.

Their Kevlar looks a little more expensive and in a 5 oz. instead of 6 oz. What would be the pros/cons of Kevlar, Carbon Fiber or glass on the outside of a softer core?

C
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I used 6580- 50" it's 6 oz. from Sweet's
Carbon is stiff, but abrades easily.
Kevlar is tough ! but fuzzes when abraded. I'd recommend an out side layer over, such as E-glass to protect the Kevlar. Kevlar obviously would hide the beauty of your wood core.
For a Stripper, I'd stick with E-glass.

Now a Composite build ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!