Help with Oil-canning

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David Towlun

Help with Oil-canning

Post by David Towlun »

Hello-

I just finished building an 18' tandem and am having trouble with oil-canning. It's a shallow arched hull with double layers of 3.25 oz cloth on the interior and exterior. Any suggestions as to what I can to do improve this situation? The only thing I can think up is to put another layer of 6 oz cloth on the exterior football and HOPE it stiffens the canoe. I just put it in the water and my heart sank...

Thanks.
Patricks Dad

Re: Help with Oil-canning

Post by Patricks Dad »

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm kinda surprised. I hate to say it but I think whatever you put on the outside you should mirror on the inside too.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

David Towlun wrote:Hello-

I just finished building an 18' tandem and am having trouble with oil-canning. It's a shallow arched hull with double layers of 3.25 oz cloth on the interior and exterior. Any suggestions as to what I can to do improve this situation? The only thing I can think up is to put another layer of 6 oz cloth on the exterior football and HOPE it stiffens the canoe. I just put it in the water and my heart sank...

Thanks.
Yes, an extra 6 oz layer on the outside should do it, unless you sanded the hull paper thin !

On my solos and the few tandems I've built. I put one full 6 oz, plus another partial layer of 6 oz, up tp the three inch waterline. Then one 6 oz on the inside.

Curious why you opted for 3.25 oz cloth ?
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
sedges

Post by sedges »

I disagree with above. To stiffen a layup you need to add to the INSIDE. It can be just a diamond shaped piece that covers the flattest part of the hull. I am curious about the strip thickness you used. It seems to me your fours layer of 3.25oz should have made a hull stiff enough to not oilcan, at least until its been dragged over beaver dams and such!
cedarphile

Post by cedarphile »

Add a full-length wood keel to give the bottom more longitudinal strength.