FIberglassing the Stems?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Morecowbell

FIberglassing the Stems?

Post by Morecowbell »

Sneaking up on the fiberglass stage and am wondering if I'm interpreting things correctly: as I'm reading it, the glass is trimmed at the stems when the epoxy firms up - and there is no effort to wrap the glass around the upright portion of the stems. And if that's correct then the upright portion of the stems isn't fiberglassed... ? Maybe not necessary if you're adding brass stem bands but I'm going to need to fiberglass this area so was curious what people do here and if there's any advantage to doing it before or after the rest of the fiberglass?

As always, many thanks for any thoughts!

Clay
Patricks Dad

Re: FIberglassing the Stems?

Post by Patricks Dad »

After your first wet-out coat of epoxy is on and just nearing the end of the tacky state (you are about ready to put on the first fill coat), take a sharp razor blade and trim the glass along the edge of the stem where it begins to curve to the other side of the canoe - trim both side similarly. Then lay on a layer (or two) of glass cut on the bias over the stems. If you use more than one layer, cut them progressively narrower - start with say 5" wide and then cut the next one 3" wide or so. If these strips are cut on the bias (45 degrees to the weave), they will wrap nicely around the stems (a little stretching of them helps with this). Wet these strips out and then proceed with the fill coat to the other end of the canoe and then repeat that same process on that end as you finish the fill coat. Hit these areas at the beginning and end of your final fill coat (you may need to add another layer or two to these places to allow you to feather sand them into the surface once you are done).

Sometimes I will add a layer of thin clear plastic over these stems to allow me to ensure the fibers on the edges are laying down (it will peel off after the epoxy is set and It reduces the amount of sanding you need to do) but it can be kind of tricky and leave more work than it's worth some times). Your choice.

Finally, depending on the weight of your cloth, you can wrap one side of the cloth over the stem and "capture" it with the cloth on the other side. It requires careful attention and repeated inspection to make sure it's still right. But generally, people want to add more than one layer of glass over the stems anyway so simply trimming the glass at the edge of the stem is easier.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Agree with Randy .... this is a pic of what it will look like. I don't run the second strip all the way up, there shouldn't be much wear and tear there.

Brian
Morecowbell

Post by Morecowbell »

Thank you both - great explanation and pics always help!!