2 1/2 coats of epoxy and glass successful; questions on next coat

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
mneubauer

2 1/2 coats of epoxy and glass successful; questions on next coat

Post by mneubauer »

Thanks for all the advice on working with epoxy during hot weather.

The cloth soaked out quickly. The epoxy set up very quick; 20 minutes to soft barely caramel like state. Almost couldn't use the squeegee due to extreme thick viscosity by that short time.

I put an extra 6" wide skid plate of glass on the center from stem to stern including the outer stems. Sanded very lightly the next morning to take off the big edges. Then put the full glass sheet on.

DSCN1809 (4).jpg

This went well with the help of a mixing partner. I had difficulty maintaining a consistently level coating of epoxy. I applied with a chip brush and then I tried a metal grooved roller that seemed to even things out pretty well. This is a procedure I need help with.

Putting on the 2nd coat was less hectic as far as epoxy setting up. My main difficulty was still keeping a level coat of epoxy during the squeegee process.

DSCN1822-2.JPG

I'm thinking if the 3rd coat is applied smooth and level I should be good to go.

I have very lightly sanded between coats as I am not applying the next/subsequent coats immediately after the previous ones setup.
I have a couple questions about application of next coat(s):

What method of application would help keep the epoxy level? Pour it on and use West foam roller to gently coat from dry-to-wet? or wet-to dry?
Use chip brush? I'm guessing only for minor touch ups?
Use of the grooved metal roller-is it needed/helpful?

What about after the coat of epoxy is applied; shall this be squeegeed off or just leave to cure without scraping with the squeegee?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark
Patricks Dad

Re: 2 1/2 coats of epoxy and glass successful; questions on next coat

Post by Patricks Dad »

I use a 3" wide brush for all of my coats (squeegee only the first 2). Final coat is always a bit rough but is easily sanded smooth before varnish.

Just make sure you have enough epoxy on the boat to bury the weave of the glass so you don't hit the weave when you sand.

I've never used a metal grooved roller for anything but helping to ensure the glass is down on the surface on the initial wet-out (and only then in a couple places/times over the years).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Mark
A few points.
One never SAND fresh epoxy, SCRAPE it ! Better on your health, and you won't have dust particles embedded in your epoxy !

Old resin sets faster, to off set this. Get the epoxy out of the mix cup, as fast as you can. Make smaller batches. I make 9 oz batches. You can also pour the freshly mixed resin in a plastic coated paint roller pan, this will slow the reaction time !

I'm a BIG fan of the little "Cigar" foam rollers ! Especially for fill coats. Get the good ones ! Foam rollers make it easy on my Old wrists. Brushes seem to shed bristles, and they are a pain to pick out, not to mention they are slower than rollers.

Lastly put your reinforcing strips on TOP of you main layer ! Here is a pic of my reasoning.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y390/JimDodd/IMG_1696_zpsuruxzrov.jpg

Jim
Last edited by Jim Dodd on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Mark
A few points.
One never SAND fresh epoxy, SCRAPE it ! Better on your health, and you won't have dust particles embedded in your epoxy !

Old resin sets faster, to off set this. Get the epoxy out of the mix cup, as fast as you can. Make smaller batches. I make 9 oz batches. You can also pour the freshly mixed resin in a plastic coated paint roller pan, this will slow the reaction time !

I'm a BIG fan of the little "Cigar" foam rollers ! Especially for fill coats. Get the good ones ! Foam rollers make it easy on my Old wrists. Brushes seem to shed bristles, and they are a pain to pick out, not to mention they are slower than rollers.

Lastly put your reinforcing strips on TOP of you main layer ! Here is a pic of my reasoning.

Jim
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Mark, back to your original question.
Wet to dry application.

Again, I love the Cigar foam rollers. They don't distort the cloth, they make getting an even coat on the hull, and they are easy to use !
Ted Shows in his videos using brushes and small cups. Often times he has several people involved. I think Ted does this so everyone gets familiar with working the epoxy.
I work by myself, and I'm sold on the foam rollers !

Jim
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Mark, back to your original question.
Wet to dry application.

Again, I love the Cigar foam rollers. They don't distort the cloth, they make getting an even coat on the hull, and they are easy to use !
Ted Shows in his videos using brushes and small cups. Often times he has several people involved. I think Ted does this so everyone gets familiar with working the epoxy.
I work by myself, and I'm sold on the foam rollers !

Jim