Fiberglass still tacky

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rmb0513

Fiberglass still tacky

Post by rmb0513 »

I got done fiberglassing the inside and a week later I found 1 section of resin that didn't set up
I have scraped off the resin and wiped it down several times with acetone
The are is still tacky to the touch
Do I need to wipe it down until no longer tacky or can I put another coat of resin over the inside
Thank you for your advice
Randy
Jim Dodd

Re: Fiberglass still tacky

Post by Jim Dodd »

First off your culprit is, you didn't mix a batch long enough.

I'd stay at it with Acetone a little more, and give it a week. Then if needed give it a coat of Well mixed resin.
The Acetone should dilute the unmixed resin.
Wear a good mask, and hand protection !!! Acetone is very bad on your health !!!
Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

As Jim says ... likely culprit is insufficient mixing, so take a look at how you are mixing the epoxy and make the mental adjustments to fix this issue ... usual method is to mix for 2 minutes ... once you get used to doing the thorough mixing, it becomes second nature .... the alternative of dealing with uncured resin reinforces the need for mixing.

I might forgo the acetone at this stage as it can also soften the resin ... maybe let it sit a few days and try a thin recoat on the area and see how that is after a day. This assumes you did 2 coats of resin on the inside ("I got done fiberglassing the inside ") and you have scraped most of the top layer (down to glass) off. If you are lucky it was just the second layer that was affected, it would seem unlikely that you would have the issue in the same area with 2 separate applications ....

Maybe confirm for us if the glass layer is tacky, I suspect the advice will be different if that is the case, so confirm how far you scraped and if the actual first glass layer is also tacky.

Brian
rmb0513

Post by rmb0513 »

It is just the second coat in a 2by2 area
I did a double layer of gala and 2 coats of epoxy